FAQ

How do I ensure the protection of my family’s privacy?

All of the information that you and your child provide in the context of this study will be kept strictly confidential, and if you or your child decide to withdraw from the study, all of your data will be destroyed. For more information on how we ensure the protection of your privacy, please contact us.

Are there any potential risks or benefits in participating?

It is possible that participating in this study could trigger an emotional/stress response in your child, although we believe that the risk is very low in both probability and severity. You and your child can quit the study at any time, and you are both free to decide not to answer any particular question.

There are no direct benefits of participating. Indirectly, you may gain a better understanding of psychological research, as well as an appreciation that your participation will help to further the scientific understanding of the variables of interest.

How will renumeration work?

At the end of each laboratory test session, participating families will receive an honorarium (via cheque) of $30, and you will be reimbursed for any parking or bus fees incurred as a result of coming to UBC to participate in our study.

Additionally, during each wave, 20 participants will be randomly selected and receive a gift card for a movie ticket! The likelihood of being randomly selected will depend on their own decisions as well as the decisions of their randomly selected partner (another participant) in one of the interactive computer tasks.

What if I decide I want to withdraw my participation?

Participation is entirely voluntary, and you may withdraw your consent for any reason and at any time you wish to do so. You may also not answer any question for any reason.

If you have any concerns or complaints about your rights as a research participant and/or your experiences while participating in this study, contact the Research Participant Complaint Line in the UBC Office of Research Ethics at 604-822-8598, or if long distance, RSIL@ors.ubc.ca or 1-877-822-8598.