Celebrate Learning Week 2011!

Why have you come to UBC?  What is the most interesting thing you have ever learned at university?  What does learning mean to you?

This week is UBC’s annual Celebrate Learning Week!  It’s a time to celebrate teaching and learning at the university and promote development opportunities for both students and faculty!  Various events are being held (many of them are free!) throughout the week – check out http://celebratelearning.ubc.ca/2011-celebrate-learning-events/ to see which ones you’d like to attend!

I myself haven’t attended any of the events yet, but I have been reflecting upon my own education at UBC.  To me, there are many different stages of learning.  Microscopically, it’s me sitting for hours with my textbooks and doing prereadings.  On the next level, it’s the rapport between professors and students, a linkage that either inspires the students or annoys them with dull, boring lectures.  Finally, learning is a global transaction.  We will eventually finish our degrees and become professionals.  Whether it be professoring at a university, remedying patients’ illnesses, or developing land management strategies for LEDCs, our education at UBC will lead us to make a contribution to the world.

No Comment