How do prepare for Midterm II

What, again?

But I just failed last week. Can I at least get a break before I fail again?

Before we can get over the traumatic experience that the first midterm showered us with, the second midterm starts knocking on the door. For those of us who have this uninvited guest parked around the corner, I have compiled a list of ‘Do s and Don’ts for the second midterm.

Some  of the advice you’re about to be hit with have been taken from a the CSP workshop discussion, some are hand downs from our experienced seniors, and some have been given by the professors themselves.

Here is my golden list of Do’s And Don’ts:

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:

• Start early, give yourself plenty of time to understand hard material. Make sure you have enough time to get help if you get stuck.
  • Give yourself enough time to prepare
  • Go through all the homework, online problems etc that you have done. Just because it has been tested once doesn’t mean that it won’t be again or that you will remember the correct approach. Review the same material as much possible. Studies show that the more you review it, the better it sticks.

Do not expect the remember things by looking at them once.

• When memorising a list or a sequence, make acronyms and acrostics , or make an association of it with something or someone that you love.
Use acronyms to remember lists, and sequences.

• Keep a list of your mistakes. Studies show that people who are faster learners are the ones who review their mistakes. Learn
  • Trick your mind into learning: Make a realistic study plan with lots of short break. Your brain  becomes more efficient as you go near the allotted time. Treat yourself when you complete one task. If you tend to panic the day before the exam, try to convince yourself that the exam is  a day before it actually is. In this way you will stress out the day before the exam, and not on that very special day.

WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T DO

• Panic when you don’t get the first question.
    Don’t get hung up on one question, look for hints. Answer questions that you know you can do for sure first, and then come back to the ones you skipped. Finishing a few questions will bump your confidence, which in turn will help you when you re-attempt the ones you were stuck on.
Do not panic if you get stuck on the first question.
  • Pull an all-nighter before the exam
If you think that you will drink 3 cans of Monster and learn everything in one night, let me warn you, it is the worst idea ever. Sleep deprivation reduces vigilance – the capacity for sustained attention. It also increases your reaction time, and reduces the speed of your working memory.
Pulling an all nighter will make you less efficient the next day.
  • Put the harder things for the end.
We Almost always put harder things for the end, and forget that there is never sufficient time at the end!
  Don’t put too much weight on last years exam papers, instead, make sure that you know the theoretical part very well.
  • Do not procrastinate, or multitask.

And lastly,

Life isn’t all about doing well in exams. Don’t worry too much about it. 🙂

Best of luck on your midterms!

Learn more about how to succeed in an exam

sources:
CSP Workshop Handouts
Images: Google

About

I am a tiny 18 year old with big dreams, in a big city. I like to eat, and dance in the rain. My goal in life is to make you fall in love with me, through my words.

2 comments on “How do prepare for Midterm II
  1. After study a few of the blog posts on your own website now, and I really like your manner of
    blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark site list
    and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site too
    and I would like to know what you believe.

2. Lanora says:

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!