Introducing Shelby…

Before I dive into the core of The Oil Shelby Eats blog I would like to introduce myself:

My name is Shelby,

I am a forth year Food, Nutrition, and Health Major,

I am living on the Sunshine Coast for the summer,

I am a power-lifter and an aspiring fitness/physique contest competitor,

…and I LOVE food.

My life revolves around food (and working out but this blog is less related to that portion of my life). I am constantly prepping food, timing my work and social plans around meals, thinking about when to eat next, and making a point to eat as clean as possible every meal.

To most of my friends and coworkers this lifestyle appears exhausting. I always have to bring my own food to work (to avoid mystery deep fried staff meal), I always need to have food with me so I do not resort to fast food or packaged meals, and as a result I live to eat, not eat to life. For the most part I eat the same 4-10 items everyday.

These items would include: eggs, egg whites, chicken breasts, canned tuna, oats, sweet potatoes, fruits and vegetables, and of course (brace yourselves, non-gym rats) protein powder.

Now most people would call this an obsession and I would somewhat have to agree with that. I have struggled with ‘letting myself’ eat non clean food, and having my obsession with food get in the way of social gatherings (where greasy BBQ and beers would be the only thing on the menu).

However, be it obsession or not, food is my passion. Nutrition is my passion. Working out is my passion. But mostly food.

I am telling you this because I will soon be posting my 24-hour meal record. Anyone who bothers to read it will probably think, “Wow, that is boring ” or “Why do you have your meals listed as 1, 2, 3.. -what happened to good ‘ole breakfast, lunch, and dinner?” or “You are lying, it is not possible for someone to eat chicken 3 times a day and never have any junk food”.

But that is my life.

In my university studies I have learned repeatedly about how changes to our food system are necessary for our food supply to remain sustainable. And, of course, a huge portion of the food system crisis is due to the oil required to produce, transport, process and package the food we eat.

So thank you for stopping by. From here on out I will be reflecting on my daily meals and exploring how oil is involved at all stages. I am sure like many of you I will be surprised with my findings.

So enjoy!

Cheers.

One response to “Introducing Shelby…