ATSC 113: Applied Meteorology (Review)

Looking for an online course to take? Consider ATSC 113, a 3-credit science course that teaches weather concepts related to flying, snow-sports, and sailing.

FORMAT OF THE COURSE

All of the assignments and midterms were online, except for the final, which may be taken online or in-person depending on the section you’re registered in. There were weekly readings and quizzes, two midterms, a bonus project, and a final.

The assessments were multiple-choice, and the answer options were quite straightforward. Most of the weekly quizzes had two attempts, so I could learn from my mistakes. 

This course requires self-learning 100%. There aren’t any live lectures; you learn everything from the online readings (no textbook to purchase – yay!).

GPA 🙂 OR 🙁

It was a booster (A+) for my friends and I. This course didn’t take up too much of my time, and the assessments were fair.

But I have to admit that the weekly readings and quizzes got tedious to do as the term progressed. Occasionally, I slacked off and almost forgot to complete the quizzes as there were multiple deadlines throughout the week. Make sure to download the course schedule so you can keep track of the different deadlines.

Check out the grade distribution below from Winter 2018:

ATSC 113 Grade Distribution (Credits: ubcgrades.com)

VERDICT? TO TAKE OR NOT TO TAKE

If you’re looking for an online course to take, I would recommend ATSC 113. The material is relatively easy to understand, and it’s useful to know how the weather impacts our outdoor activities, so that’s a win-win!

For more information on this course, visit the course website.