Christian: the blissful spark of the Musqueam Golf and Learning Academy

by Dana Malaguti ~ September 26th, 2010. Filed under: Musqueum/ Marine Drive.

Golfers quietly retracted balls from dispensing machines at the Musqueam Golf and Learning Academy. Minimum interaction among visitors was visible, and only a few women chatted in the cafeteria area.  A lack of community foundation was blatant in this club. However, one charismatic foreign-born player assistant at the club challenged my perception on a Thursday afternoon.

With the vitality of a teenager, 73-years-old Christian Penafiel loudly greeted and waved at players as they passed by. In his heavy accent, Christian complimented and recommended  clubs and strategies to players in each hole.  He picked up every ball he found on the ground, and eagerly returned them to the owners once they had finished playing. “I know she loves that ball. Every time she comes to play and loses it, I try to find it,” said Penafiel.

Native of Spain, Penafiel arrived to Canada 40 years ago looking for new job opportunities.  Without any formal academic training, he embarked a career in the hospitality business as a room service manager for the Four Seasons hotel chain, which lasted 27 years.  His background in customer-service prepared him well for his current job.

He retired at the age of 65, and soon after became a full-time volunteer player assistant at the Musqueam Golf and Learning Academy “I have been working here for 3 years, and I love my job. I help people play faster so they don’t stop other players behind, “said Panafiel. His main responsibilities are to coordinate group activities – such as championships- and to guarantee a fast-pace flow of players around the course’s 18 holes. Nevertheless, he assumed as part of his job requirements the responsibility of creating a friendlier environment around the golf course. “I want people to feel welcome here,” said Panafiel.

The Musqueam Golf and Learning Academy is a public executive golf course. This 18-holes course suits the needs of beginner players and less passionate golfers with only 333 yards in length. “People don’t come here to make friends, they want to play fast,” said Panafiel.

Although the academy’s nature limits interaction among players, Christian’s work has impacted the place. Women and men alike affectingly greeted him upon arrival, and people seemed enthusiastic to rely on his advices on the golf course.

“I will help you in a minute dear,” said Penafiel to a teenage player as she happily dragged her golf bag onto the course that day.