Progressive Community Groups Pack Kingsway Café and Celebrate Social Justice Struggles

by Krystle Alarcon ~ September 26th, 2010. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Rhizome Café filled all its seats, while others sat on the floor in celebration of the café’s fourth year of uniting practically all of Vancouver’s progressive organizations, ranging from social injustice, migrant workers, colored youth and queer community groups.

Doors opened at 7, but there was already a line up of around twenty people in front of Rhizome’s homely wooden doors before they even opened.  Homely is the best description for the interior too, as soft lighting, a plush couch, chalkboards with a handwritten menu and a mixture of cushiony and hardwood chairs create a cozy, almost grandma-like welcoming ambience.

Adriana Paz, a member of Justicia, an organization for the rights of Latin temporary farm workers,  greets everyone with a big smile and a hug, and everyone reciprocates.  People flocked to the bistro bar, where Three Sisters Stew, made with black beans, squash and corn and topped with sour cream for non-vegans, is served for dinner by donation.

A light, upbeat harmony of reggae infused with latin undertones whizzes through the air and induces a few to shake their shoulders.  MCs Andrea Canales and Hari Alluri, who wore brown t-shirts with red, yellow and orange rhizome graphics excited everyone for the 60 second performances.

Very diverse attendees, such as women with cropped, salt and pepper hair, cross dressers tattooed wrist to shoulder,  dark and light skinned latinos and students with tattered hoodies and messy rain boots clapped delightfully for all the performers.  Cease Wyss, a first nations filmmaker, opened the night with a compelling aboriginal sacred welcoming song.

The lyrics of some songs spoke volumes of how everyone appreciates that there is a central place where everyone can feel welcome.  “Yea, yea, I’m feeling so gay, I love, love, my Rhizome Café,” chanted two women dressed in cabaret outfits.

Members of No One is Illegal chuckled when they said “grow wings on our rebel doves”, when they recited their collectively composed piece.  But the biggest crowd pleaser was performed by the staff, as six women blew into beer bottles and created flute sounds to the effect of Irene Cara’s 1984 hit What a Feeling.  The women left the stage running backwards and mentioned that their group is called “B.O.”,  for Rhizome Staff Bottle Orchestra.

“I grew up in a smaller town, I’m just trying to open up my mind and it feels right to be here,” said benefits insurance administrator Desmond Wellesley, who’s originally from Kitchener, Ontario.  Wellesley volunteered to handle the sales from Rhizome t-shirts and the 38 items donated for the silent auction.