Lessons From The Sauder Entrepreneurs

Class 18 is the Day of SAUDER Entrepreneur Alumni! This is my first-time meeting with successful entrepreneurs in real life!

Below are future thoughts on the ideas that were introduced to me.

Be open minded

p4gz301tayopen_minded_neon_sign

Graduating with a marketing degree and becoming the co-founder of a tech start-up company named 42, Cathy had no idea that she would become an entrepreneur one day. She was not into the idea of starting her own business.

I always thought that becoming an accountant by pursuing a CPA designation, and either working in the public or industrial sectors was the only career choice I had. However, after Cathy shared her stories, I realized there are many possibilities in people’s career paths. Furthermore, Nolan, the successful man behind Sandstorm was once a CA who quit his job and pursued his own area of interest.

I can’t know what I will become 5 years from now; therefore, it is important for me to be open- minded and explore more of the opportunities that are not necessarily related to the field of Accounting. I do not want to limit myself in a set bubble!

Organizational Structure

download

Which organizational structure do I want to work under?

The difference in organizational structures and corporate cultures can be vividly displayed through the dressing styles between tech start-up founders (Cathy and Ian) and professional industry CEO (Nolan).

Ian, the co-founder of Bench presents an opposite style to that of Nolan the CEO of Sandstorm. As a tech start-up, the company has a flat organizational structure and focuses on innovations and creativities. Employees work under a more relaxed atmosphere and thus are more productive. Comparatively, the industry that Nolan is working in requires his to be very professional because it has a Hierarchical structure. Employees are motivated by the competitiveness in the company.

To prevent future job dissatisfaction, it is important to understand the nature of the company, organizational structure, and corporate culture before accepting a job that pays a high salary.

Works Cited:

Meehan, Colette L. “Flat Vs. Hierarchical Organizational Structure.” Small Business. Web. 9 Nov. 2014. <http://smallbusiness.chron.com/flat-vs-hierarchical-organizational-structure-724.html>.