General update – Container progress

This week has been slightly warmer, with temperatures around 7 degrees Celsius. Here is a photo log of seed and plant progress:

Toy Choy (planted 10 days ago on March 20) – I’m unsure if this is a Toy Choy sprout… or just a weed. It also appears something has been digging in the soil to pull out a larger piece of eggshell and exposed an ungerminated seed.

Buckwheat (planted 10 days ago on March 20) – No sign of life yet to cover and protect my soil!

Peas (planted 5 days ago on March 25) – No sprouts yet for both Little Marvel and Oregon Sugar Pod. The package says 7-10 days for germination.

Crocosmia & Calla Lily (perennial) – Crocosmia continues to do well. Still no sign of Calla Lily.

Columbine, Lavender & Herb container (perennial) – All are doing well. The rosemary always flowers early in the Spring.

Mystery plant – This is a plant that I won as a door prize one year. I’m not sure what it is, but it always survives the winter. However, when I transplanted it a couple of years ago its roots looked pretty sad. Given the sparse yellow leaves I’m not sure that it’s doing much better, though it is flowering. I know it is a cool weather, shade liking plant. However, I’m not sure how to help it thrive.

30. March 2012 by Donna S. Lee
Categories: General Update, Herbs, Spring, Vegetables | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment