Radishes – A review

I did a companion planting experiment where I planted quick-growing radishes with slower-growing beets. The  idea is that the radishes will be ready to harvest about a month before the beets, therefore loosening the soil for the beets when the radishes are harvested.

While the radishes have been successful, I don’t know if it’s the best idea to broadcast sow the two seed varieties as I did. When I was pulling the radishes, some of the beet seedlings were coming out with them because the roots were tangled together. I have tried again with baby carrots (similar to these) and radishes in another container, and this time I planted them in more orderly rows, about one seed per inch.

The radish variety I planted this year is Amethyst, which should mature in 25-30 days. This variety is meant to be slow to go woody, which seems to be true in my case. At 45+ days, the larger ones are just starting to get a bit fibrous.

June 3, 2012
(49 days since planting)

4th Harvest – 23 radishes in this harvest. After this, we still have one more harvest to go. In total, I think we will have harvested 50-60 radishes grown in one 24″ x 6″ x 8″ planter.

May 27, 2012
(42 days since planting)

3rd Harvest – Approximately 10 radishes in this and past harvests. Many of them are larger than a twoonie.

May 18, 2012
(33 days since planting)

May 5, 2012
(20 days since planting)

April 27, 2012
(12 days since planting)

Heart-shaped leaves.

April 15, 2012
(Seeds planted)

24″ l x 6″ w x 8″ h planter

04. June 2012 by Donna S. Lee
Categories: Spring, Vegetables | Tags: , , | Leave a comment