Joy Johnson to be next SFU Vice President, Research

UBC Nursing Professor Joy Johnson will take the reins as Simon Fraser University’s fifth Vice President, Research starting September 1, 2014.

Joy Johnson has been a faculty member with the UBC School of Nursing since 1993 after completing her doctoral studies at the University of Alberta. She has been a mentor to students and faculty, while making expert contributions to the School in strategic planning, development, alumni relations, and important initiatives like the establishment of the Nursing Advisory Council.

A leading scholar in the field of health promotion, Joy Johnson was appointed in 2008 as Scientific Director of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research’s Institute of Gender and Health. In 2010 she was recognized as one of British Columbia’s Women of Influence.

The School of Nursing gives heartfelt thanks to Joy for her service to the School, and wishes her the best success in this exciting leadership position at SFU.

“I have spent 21 highly rewarding years as a faculty member with the UBC School of Nursing. I have been very privileged to work with talented colleagues, students, and research staff. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to work in an environment where I have been encouraged to take on new challenges. As an alumna of UBC, I look forward to maintaining a strong connection with the School of Nursing.”

Vicki Smye to take new leadership role at UOIT

Associate Professor Vicki Smye will begin a new role as Director of Nursing at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology in Oshawa, Ontario.

Vicki Smye completed her PhD at the UBC School of Nursing. She joined the School as Assistant Professor in 2005 after teaching at the University of Victoria. As a faculty member, Vicki taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and served as Associate Director of Undergraduate Programs, and Chair, Undergraduate Programs and Policy Committee. Vicki has been an integral part of the leadership of CRiHHI, the Critical Research in Health and Healthcare Inequities, research unit. Her research has made important contributions to improving knowledge around access to mental health and addictions care.

The School is grateful to Vicki for her many years of service, enthusiasm, and passion for nursing education as a clinician, educator, and scholar.

Says Vicki: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at UBC as a member of the faculty and staff team here in the School for the past nine years. As a faculty member during this time, I have experienced the many rewards associated with being part of this world-class institution. I am proud to have been a participant in its programs of education, scholarship and leadership.”