In the loop: November 14-18

img_4582

Friday November 18: Pancake Breakfast at Tyee from 8:00am-9:00am – students are asked to bring in fruit on Thursday November 17th so that we can make a fruit salad to contribute on Friday morning.

Work Charts

Grade 1: november-14-18_grade1workchart

Grade 2: november-14-18_grade2workchart-docx-1

Grade 3: november-14-18_grade3workchart-docx-1

Work Choice Reinforcements

img_4590  img_4592

img_4589

My father is a geologist and when he was living in Alberta many years ago he found dinosaur bones. He mailed them to me last week from New Brunswick and I brought them in to share with the class! These bones have been dated back to Cretaceous period and are >64 million years old!

Math

1s: the grade 1 students are continuing their learning of numeration and addition with the various Montessori material.  Some grade 1 students have started skip counting by 2s, 3s, and 10s using the 100 board.

img_4584

Using the 100 board to skip count.

2s: grade 2 students will continue to practice their dynamic addition using the stamp game and some students will be learning how to use the bead frame

3s: grade 3 students will continue to practice their dynamic addition using the stamp game, bead frame and the dot game and some students will hopefully be moving into static subtraction by the end of the week

Language

All three grades will continue working with their sight words, word study, grammar boxes, and story writing.

img_4594

Grade 1 sight word ring.

img_4593

Grade 2 verb grammar box.

Literature circles

The grade 2 and 3 students will continue with their literature circles this week.  We’ve gotten off track a little bit with the weeks being a tad wonky; however we will be meeting on Friday morning this week to discuss.  Hopefully this will get us back on track!

Author study

We read “I Want My Hat Back”, by Jon Klassen last Wednesday. I absolutely love these books.  We will read his two other books this week and we will be discussing his style of writing and illustrating.  The students will be introduced to the concept of comparing and contrasting and the similarities and differences between the three books.

img_4591

Culture

This week we will be studying each planet in more detail and working on our space logbooks. This will give us the information and details needed for us to be able to design and create our own planets in the weeks to come!  The students will have the opportunity to be creative while also incorporating the knowledge and information gained from our in-depth solar system and planet study.