img_4172
Day 1: What? I have homework? I need to read 30 pages from a book I haven’t even purchased!?
Day 3: Wow I have a chapter test due in 2 days!
Day 4: Yes! I’ve handed in my assignment one day before the deadline. But wait, I need to catch up on the course material.
Day 5: My god, I have a quiz next week!
University is said to be the best time of your life, and in just one month I spent in Vancouver and at UBC, I can’t disagree. Jump Start gave me a jumpstart to university life, Imagine Day brought the whole batch under one roof, and my professors made me laugh so hard! I have a lot of friends, and I always meet someone new just walking around. Life can’t be better.
But university is meant to be hard right? Well, it is, if you think so. In just one week, I learnt so much academically, and realised some crucial facts: learning is continuous and it can be fun!
Coming from a high school curriculum that pays too much attention to that “one final exam”, UBC education feels so much different. For one, it is very holistic – from taking part in research in psychology to understanding the crux of how programs are designed in computer science. Two, it is interesting! I turned from chemistry hater to chemistry lover in one week, and I look forward to chem classes. Three, and most importantly, evaluation is continuous. Perhaps I wouldn’t have practiced my first chapter of math if it wasn’t for the upcoming quizzes.
It wasn’t a super-smooth transition though; it takes time to get used to online resources and portals and manage deadlines properly while studying by yourself for the clicker questions in your next class. Days (and sometimes nights) are busy. I bet it is overwhelming for almost all freshmen.
However, I can’t be less satisfied. I feel like I am learning, not just reading, remembering and forgetting. The happiness that I receive when all the pieces fit together perfectly encourages me. In one week, I have reimagined learning, and I feel much more prepared to put up against the challenge of university studies.
To the UBC fam, best of luck!
Stay #involved!
#UnderTheHood
#IAMUBC