A blog about ideas, experiences and reflections

I survived the LPI, and here are some tips so that you can do it too!

LPI
Two days ago, I received a message from my friend saying “LPI results are out”. I sprang into my chair to check my result. I was really, really nervous – this single $120 exam would decide whether I can take first-year English. I was elated to see my result: a 5 on the essay!
The LPI is a fairly basic English language test that international students who do not meet first-year English requirements need to take. The 2.5 hour exam tests students’ grammar, summarizing and writing skills, all of which are essential for a successful university career. While the exam includes 4 sections, the only section that is considered by UBC is the essay writing section. If you receive 5 or more points (out of 6) on the essay, you are through.
Overview:
The first three sections of the exam include questions on sentence structure, English usage and reading comprehension. These sections will not directly affect the grade on your essay; nonetheless, it is important to attempt questions in these sections. The fourth section is the essay writing section.
Part-wise tips:

For the first 3 parts, I highly recommend you look up sample questions for this section on the LPI website here. They aren’t valued much, and the questions are usually very simple.
In Section B of Reading Comprehension, you will be asked to summarize three 200-word comprehension:
– Write three sentences or less. Overshooting this limit will result in you getting a zero on the summary.
– Do not quote from the given text
– A good summary will include these three points:
  •      topic description
  •      how is the paragraph organized?
  •      viewpoint of writer
– stay on topic!

The essay is the crux of the exam, and you should give it about 1 hour 20 min during your exam. A good idea would be to practice by writing an essay yourself, and refer to the grading rubric to evaluate your writing.
You are given 3 essay topics, out of which you choose one.
Here is how you should manage your time:
     – Choose a topic and brainstorm about it. Jot down ideas and plan a structure – 20 min
     – Write your essay – 45 min
     – Proofread, revise and remove as many errors as possible – 15 min
It is crucial to plan a structure and write a thesis for your essay, because you will be graded on how your essay “flows”.
Essays on the LPI usually require you to explain your argument on a topic. On the essay:
     – stick to one side of the topic, and ensure you have enough ideas to back up your argument
     – the first paragraph must clearly state the side you’ve chosen
     – no humour, rhetoric questions, complicated/long words required (keep it simple and avoid mistakes)
     – again, don’t go off topic! Not even in your body paragraphs; not even by mistake.
     – don’t tell the reader obvious facts, like “lack of exercise can be a major reason for obesity”
     – avoid using one specific example throughout your essay
     – be concise, it’s just a 300-400 word essay!
A good way to score on the essay is to make it easy for the reader to understand your essay. On my essay, I followed a very simple structure:
     A thesis statement
     3 body paragraphs, starting with ‘Firstly…, Secondly… and Thirdly…’
     Two examples to support my opinion within the body paragraphs
     Conclusion
This no-nonsense structure is legitimately easy for a reader to grade. Also, this allows for easy transitions between paragraphs, which is one of the grading parameters in the rubric.
In the conclusion, it is okay to make a prediction or state a fact. However, ensure that you repeat your opinion on the topic (but do not copy it from the thesis statement, try to rephrase it).
Here are some essay topics for practice:
  1. “Gifted athletes should be admitted to college without having to meet the regular admission standards.” Agree OR disagree.
  2. The Internet is more frustrating than useful. Agree OR disagree.
  3. Would you rather support a national charity or a local charity? Be specific.
  4. “Physical education is an important program for all high school students.” Agree OR disagree.
  5. Would you pay $2000 for a pair of shoes by a recognized designer? Why OR why not? Be specific.
  6. Should governments spend the most money on health care or on education? Be specific.
  7. (my topic) E-books are better than printed books. Agree OR disagree.
All these essay topics are from the LPI website/exam.
Don’t fret too much about the essay topics, as you will likely find a very simple topic to write on during the exam. The topics on the LPI are usually related to education, technology/progress or commonly debated topics.
After you write a sample essay, compare it with the rubric here and evaluate it.
If you are a UBC student, you can find free LPI workshops here: https://ubcca.mywconline.com (you will need to sign up and check for appointments). Also keep a track of emails from UBC for information (I found out about LPI workshops from the Science Distillation newsletter and an email from the International Student Advisors of your faculty).
And just chill! The exam is generally easy, especially if you speak English fluently and/or you have survived the SAT/IELTS/TOEFL.
Before the exam, get good sleep. On the day of the exam, carry a pencil and a pen, an eraser, your printed hall-ticket with picture and a photo identity proof. Be there about 30 min before the exam begins.
Want any specific help? Comment below, and I may be able to answer your question.
Best of luck!
If you need more help:
Stay #involved!
#UnderTheHood
#IAMUBC
«