Methodology

In order to conduct my analysis of the effects of alcohol consumption and crime in Vancouver, I had to establish a few parameters for the study. The first of these is to decide what types of crimes should I be looking at. Using x’s article as a base, I decide on which crimes to focus on to determine a proxy for public intoxication. Because I will be focusing on public intoxication, I will not be able to cover crimes that happen in private spaces.

The second thing I had to do is to filter the data to get what I needed. With the OpenStreetMap data, while I can easily obtain the locations of the bars and pubs around Vancouver, I had to filter out the liquor store point data from other shop data stored alongside it. With the police data, since my focus is on public intoxication and where crime may occur, I filtered out the crimes that I would use as proxies to determine where public intoxication may occur.

Next, I have to establish what methods I should be using in ArcGIS Pro to give me the results I need to conduct an analysis. Since the police data came in a table, I first had to filter out the types of crime that I was not analyzing by separating them. Then, I had to convert the relevant data into XY points on a map. I did this by running the XY Table to Point tool in ArcGIS Pro. Since the data provided had XY coordinates within, it did not take long to convert. With the sheet data converted, I establish the dispersal pattern of each of the crime types by conducting a nearest neighbour analysis. In addition, I also did a kernel density analysis of the points made in the XY conversion.