Disney- for Kids AND Parents

As we’ve entered into discussion about target markets, branding, marketing mix etc… I’ve definitely started to become more aware of why ads and other forms of marketing are the way they are.

Something that always jumps out at me is Disney because I have undoubtedly grown into an “advocate” for this company and brand (and I’m not ashamed of it). As the book mentioned, Disney is a great example of how they’ve tailored different parks to their different customers as a form of market segmenting. For example, Magic Kingdom is for families with younger children, and Epcot is for families with older children. What I didn’t realize was that Disney targets parents just as much as kids and it’s not just because the parents pay for the trip to Disney World.

I found this video on YouTube which I thought really ties into this idea.

I don’t know if it’s the same in Canada, but growing up in the states made it very apparent that kids didn’t think their childhood was fulfilled until they had been to Disney World in Orlando Florida. At the same time I perceived the trip as the kids begging, convincing, and dragging their parents to partake in the vacation. However now looking back on the Disney commercials it is obvious that Disney works seamlessly to promote the vacation as fun for the entire family. They hit the nail on the head which I think contributes heavily to their seemingly never ending success which further emphasizes the power of marketing.

1 Response to Disney- for Kids AND Parents

1. ewilliamson says:

Good start on the blog, Vicky. Based on what you learned this week, why is it important for Disney to target parents? Do you think Disneyworld is still as relevant for kids today as it was when you (and I) were growing up?

You can change the subheader of your blog from another UBC Blog to something that reflects the brand meaning of your blog. Think about what you want your online brand identity to be.

E