About me!

Hello!

My name is Victoria Lam, and I am currently an MLIS student at UBC.

Hopefully what follows isn’t too much of a rambling confession.

I, like many others, have a love/hate relationship with social media.  I was “late” to join Facebook when it first became popular for the reasons you might guess.  I didn’t understand the point of it, I wanted to resist creating an online persona.  That resistance only lasted so long before the pressures of being connected all the time got the better of me.  I used Facebook for six good years to connect with “friends.”  As privacy issues became more apparent, I started becoming more distant with the platform, removing functions such as “the wall” until I was just using it to exchange messages and to “creep” on people I hadn’t spoken to in ages.

It was a fateful day in 2011 when I quit Facebook.  I was living in Micronesia with my husband and there was a rather large earthquake.  We sat in our living room like idiots trying to remember the procedures of what to do during an earthquake–or rather, trying to figure out the physics of how we could both get under our tiny coffee table with our dog, but thankfully the earthquake stopped.  Immediately after I wanted to find a source online to see if there was more information.  My husband excitedly suggested we check Facebook!

At the time I thought ‘What?! Why is Facebook the first place you want to check?! Shouldn’t we be checking some government sites to see if there are any anticipated aftershocks?! Why Facebook?!’  Sure enough Facebook was booming with comments on the quake.

Our inability to detach from Facebook even in extreme situations, and the increasing privacy issues were ultimately the reasons we left.

Looking back at that event now, I judged too harshly and acted too brashly in leaving Facebook.  Though I am still not on Facebook, I can now recognize its potential in disseminating information, especially during disasters.  Facebook was the first to report the quake, government sites had nothing noted on the event until later.  Following the quake there was a sort of community formed discussing the event–which was quite valuable.

My current use of social media is quite limited.  For a course last year I started using Twitter, I found it incredibly overwhelming.  I’ve been warming up to it and like that I can curate the types of information I receive.  I use it more as a news gathering site rather than a ‘social’ site with friends.  I also use Instagram, being selective of the accounts I follow and that follow me.  I also have a Linked-In account that I’d like to be using more effectively, but currently it’s not very active.  Finally, I had a Tumblr site to document my life in Micronesia, but since we moved, it has been inactive.

I’m looking forward to this class, and exploring different ways Social Media can be used!

6 Comments

1. Personally, I like the way social media has helped us receive news through non-traditional, “unofficial” sources — I think it has democratized news in a good way. Of course it takes work to wade through misinformation, but it’s always been thus.

I totally agree without about how hard it can be to detach, though — I am trying!

1. I totally agree Fiona. Social media is a great way to get news, but the sheer volume of information is so overwhelming. I think I would do well with having a better filter, or perhaps using a program to organize all the information like hootsuite? I’ll have to look around a little more.

2. Depending on the library or archives, it may be that social media is to be used strategically only. This is where we can build our expertise and make recommendations to administrators about how to use social media effectively (rather than using it blindly and not effectively).

3. I am slightly regretting leaving Facebook for the first time since I started SLIAS. I really find that I am out of the loop with news and social plans within my cohort. Some of the other people in my cohort without Facebook joke about making a shared profile so that we can all access to the Facebook page.

1. I feel the same way Colleen! I do feel like I miss out on some events, but I usually end up hearing about them through emails or word of mouth. I found that Facebook was really great whenever we moved to new places, or wanted to start up a new social circle. I feel like few other social sites do it as effectively as Facebook–its use is so ubiquitous in North America!

4. Hey Victoria! I hope you had a nice break!

Great first post. Of all the things social media is used for, disaster response information is one of the most useful, in my opinion. I remember it being a big topic around here a few years ago when there was fairly large earthquake near Haida Gwaii on the BC coast. Emergency Info BC was massively criticized over how slow their response was… basically if the quake had actually caused a tsunami (luckily, it didn’t), all of the communities in danger would have been wiped out by the time any official information was released. Here is an article about the event: https://storify.com/theprovince/b-c-emergency-information-system-gets-tested

It resulted in Emergency Info BC revamping their system, including better utilizing blog posts and Twitter: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-changes-how-tsunami-alerts-issued-following-haida-gwaii-quake/article5218676/

On another note, I’m so honored to be one of the “selective” few to have access to your palm tree photos on Instagram. 🙂