Marketing!?

Bullies in marketing?

March 30th, 2011 · No Comments

I came across Beverly’s Blog “Apple “Us Vs. Them” Approach” and thought her opinion on Apples strategy is very interesting. Her blog describes how Apple commercials has been playing on people’s needs to be included in “the cool crowd” and how Apple does exactly this by “leveraging the desire of belonging”.

She also does a really good job stating the fact that Apple fails to give actual product fact in their commercials, but instead, desperately tries to mock alternative (in this case, their main competition PC) users.

Much like Beverly, I dont agree with this kind of attack advertisement due to the fact that it is not attractive to me in any way. Currently, I am a PC user but would not be opposed to the idea of switching to an Apple laptop but with these commercials in place and in addition to what Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs has publicly said about its competitors, I am more and more convinced that Apple has nothing to offer its consumers and therefore has to result to aggressive, put-down commercials and actions like these.

Although Apple’s strategy might attract first time computer buyers, it certainly does not do a very good job of winning over the competitions current consumers as future clients.

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

Friday, Friday..

March 18th, 2011 · No Comments

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today i-is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after…wards
I don’t want this weekend to end

These are the words from internet sensation Rebecca Black’s new debut single called “Friday”. Much like Justin Bieber, this new American teen star is taking over the world by storm, but this time, in a much less favorable light and all for the wrong reasons.

Friday friday...

With nearly 18 million views on youtube, viewers call her “a trainwreck, just plainly a joke” and “the Black Plague”. Ever since the release about a month ago, there have been countless parodies, mocking responses and hurtful comments regarding her new hit song.

Why is this the case the case though?  How can fans go crazy for one teen star but express such criticism  for another?

This, I argue, is simply where marketing comes into play. Unlike Justin Bieber, this teen star didn’t have the right marketing mix to be presented to this world. ARK Music Factory owned by Jey and Wilson failed to consider what kind of effect the autotuning throughout her whole song and the repetitive lyrics would have on her audience. Neither did they realize that they’re target market probably shouldn’t have been Youtuber’s, but maybe rather a much younger audience.

After several months of being exposed to marketing in class, I realize that the marketing mix is relevant far beyond just the simple product engagement. It applies when trying to introduce anything new, including a teen internet sensation.

Rebecca Black on Good Morning America

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

A girls best friend :)

March 7th, 2011 · 2 Comments

Why do most girls’ eyes light up when they see tat tiny blue box with the white ribbon wrapped around? What is so special about it that could possibly change her “no way, not in this lifetime” answer to an “oh my god, YES I DO!” ?

Although it may “just” be jewelry, Tiffany&Co has manged to establish themselves as one of the worlds leading and most sought after jewelry carrier. The magic begins at the very sight of the little cute blue bag with “Tiffany&Co” carefully printed on. Once past the little bag itself, your heart will start beating even faster, your pupils will dilate and your breathing will be very uneven at even just the slightest touch of the carefully yet simply packaged blue box with the beautiful white ribbon wrapped around in a bow. Some argue that at this point, it is not really important anymore what exactly is hidden in the box itself, anything to be found inside will just be the cherry on top of the cake :).

What exactly gets girls (including me) so excited about this simple box though? I say that it is the really the feelings associated with the box that make Tiffany&Co jewelry so sought after. What feelings? Feelings such as the joy of receiving a sweet 16, “my first Tiffany&Co’s necklace”, to an anniversary “hunny, that’s perfect” bracelet to the infamous engagement “Forever and ever” ring. Feeling that simply anyone, any age could relate to. Once a brand has been able to establish themselves through the affective side, they are there to stay, at least for a good while.

With its infamous classic little blue box, Tiffany has been able to carry itself through many generations, and many generations more to come.

<3

→ 2 CommentsTags: Uncategorized

Its so prettty… but is it functional?

March 6th, 2011 · No Comments

I’ve come across Roosa’s blog recently regarding packaging and found it interesting that she has a very similar take on it as I do.  First and foremost, we’re both really lazy consumers so her, quite like me, don’t spend much time comparing products.

I moved here from Vienna not too long ago, so the way products caught my firm-time-buyers eye’s was through the help of packaging. Similarly to Roosa, I decided to choose my product based on their looks hoping that it would promise me exactly what they look like they would. So far, some have held up to their looks while others haven’t, and naturally, I stuck with the ones that I found value in.

Besides the beauty aspect of things, functionality is a huge deal to me. Even though it might be cool and different, I don’t appreciate anything too complicated looking. If I find that it might take me longer to get this product to do its purpose due to its packaging, I will move on to another, more simple looking product. In the end, the point of the packaging is to attract the consumer enough to get them, or in this case me, to buy the product, and not scare them off.

BANANASSSSSS

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

Directed focus

February 18th, 2011 · No Comments

I recently stumbled across a marketing blog that was titled “How selflessness can help your business”. (Here’s the link to check it out for yourself http://ittybiz.com/how-selflessness-can-help-your-business/)It caught my attention right away, mainly because I think Johnny Truant makes an excellent point here.

Reading this blog reminded me of the idea of ‘sustainable competitive advantage’, the notion that in order to succeed, a company or a business must have one thing/ some thing they can offer customers, that they can sustain for a long time. This article is not necessarily talking about “good customer service” or “good reliable supply chain” per se, but it’s more leaning towards the idea of giving back, focusing on the you and not the me for once, even along the lines of  helping charities and being a good guy/gal etc.

Like Johnny Truant mentions, it doesn’t take much to help out a charity, volunteer and help out under privileged  children, donate a percentage of your proceeds– if not, you can even offer a few free products or services to consumers.

Why may this work?

Given our options in this world currently, I as a consumer, would so much rather shop with someone who GENUINELY *important factor here, or else you’d be called a “transparent asswipe” according to Johnny* wants to help out, wherether that may be his favorite charity, or hospital or a third world country. Selfless actions do come through, and that could easily be made into a “sustainable competitive advantage” for ones business.

There is one thing that hasn’t been mentioned in this blog though that I find very important:

Selfless acts will not necessarily increase your sales if the service or product you are trying to sell is way overpriced than your competitions, given that they are substitutes for one another.  As a consumer, I would rather pay less and donate to someone/somewhere myself than paying times and a half more and have you donate 10% of that.  Also, the product or service will have to be able to be “equal” or subsitutes in consumers’ eyes.  If I am looking for nice brand name jeans, I will unfortunately not settle for Costco jeans, even though you may volunteer in your spare time.

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

The day of .. LOVE?

February 7th, 2011 · 1 Comment

Whats one of the largest corporate inspired “holidays” coming up?!?! SINGLES APPRECIATION DAY (SAD day) aka VALENTINES DAY <3 !!

Recently, I just noticed how strong and well marketed this day actually is.

Let me explain:

I work at the UBC bookstore, and we’ve had our valentines day display up and going for a good 3-4 weeks now, and its STILL not valentines day. (T-7 for those lovers out there!)

I’ve walked into london drugs and shoppers last month to get a new tooth brush, and the teddy bears, hearts and chocolates were already flooding the damn shop floor everywhere!

If you go on the MM’s website (http://www.mymms.com/) you can actually customize your own MM’s with little clip arts, messages and even pictures! They then charge you a ridiculous fee for shipping, make you buy a certain amount and then ship it to you well before this lovely day actually arrives. My friend got her shipment a good 5 weeks ago.

Popular “romantic” restaurants such as Cloud 9 or the revolving restaurants even have their “Valentines special menu”, which is really just a bunch of stuff from their regular menu, but with the price way hiked up and a complimentary.. rose? for the lady. Some of these restaurants are even all booked up for the night already!

What about the single ladies and gentlemen?

SPEED DATING is (perhaps) the answer for you! http://www.visitvancouver.bc.ca/speed-dating-in-vancouver.html. Even speed dating clubs have prepared for this day and are probably thriving off of the idea that not everyone in this world has a significant other to spend this day with. Their Valentines speed dating event has also been planned well in advanced!

Lets say, you just dont want to go speed dating, but you dont have someone to spend it with either? The idea of valentines day is just so depressing that you are willing to group up with a bunch of your single friends and spend a night out with lots of food and even more drinks!

Either way, its a win win for restaurants, coorporations, flower shops etc that day.

Well played Valentines day, well played…

→ 1 CommentTags: Uncategorized

Sexual Apparel

February 2nd, 2011 · No Comments

At times I think some companies overestimate the leniency the public has for certain types of advertisements and in a way, “cross the line”. Or maybe the just like to stand out in their own way, knowing that this will trigger a reaction from the consumers? Maybe this is their strategy to be recognized and to be remembered.. Whatever it is that may be going through their mind, they certainly evoked a reaction in certain consumers. If the reaction was a positive or a negative one.. may be another story..

In this particular instance, I am talking about the countless provocative advertisements created for American Apparel. At first glance, consumers might think of an upcoming adult film when looking at their ad but when it turns out that it actually is for the popular clothing company, consumers are more than outraged.

Is this kind of advertisement effective though?

Of course, particularly in our society nowadays, sex sells. These ads definitely without a doubt, would not be overlooked by a passerby. They are eye catching, but for the wrong reasons. At the same time, the clothing article is definitely the last thing that comes to ones attention. Also, is it really worth it to provoke the public and lose business by having consumers boycott your company because of your advertisements?

A picture says 1000 words, but are they the right 1000 words?

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

Got Celebrities?

January 25th, 2011 · No Comments

Did you know that one of the most effective ways to market is probably through Referent Power?

Tons and tons of marketing is done by using celebrities, but why? I argue that it is not because they have a certain type of power over us, but there is definitely a certain degree to which we look up to them, or would want to be them. Of course, if they use the product, It MUST absolutely, undoubtedly mean that you cannot go wrong with that certain product right?

Marketing using referent power could be seen everywhere; throughout the last few years, the “Got Milk” campaign got really big, mainly just by using famous people to market.

Similarly, another big company that uses celebrities to endorse their products is Covergirl.

I believe, if more products use Reference Power, it could potentially save them quite a bit of money on other types of advertising, such as giving out endless free samples, posters, commercials, editorials, bill boards etc. Of course, the product itself has to be good to begin with, have somewhat of an alluring edge, so when people come to try it, there is no negative attitude towards that certain product.

Along with the association of the right kind of celebrity endorsement (right kind meaning depending on the target market and product, the company also has to use the “right” celebrity– e.g. MADD would not want to use celebrities that have a record of DUY to advertise for them, Covergirl would use more hip and stylish celebrities) , the target market will more likely want to use that product or service as well.

—–

Although the Olympic mittens were advertised quite a bit, I believe that if the producers got every athlete during the Olympics to wear them (holding all other factors of price, availability etc constant), they would have probably sold just as great. In combination with a few TV commercials here and there, and a free pair for every athlete, the producers could probably have saved tons of money on endless advertisements, commercials etc.

http://speedskateworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2009-12-19-dmr.jpg

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

Where is marketing?

January 15th, 2011 · No Comments

When asked the question “How many items have you used to today that involved marketing”, I chose the answer “Only a few”, simply not realizing how many things actually involved marketing.

After waking up the next morning I decided to consciously count the things I used to get ready with, realizing very fast that around 99.99% (if not all) of the things I used involve/d marketing. At one point or the other, I chose this Head and Shoulders Shampoo over the Pantene one just like I chose to eat Fruitloops over Captain Crunch. In other cases, I chose the maybeline eyeliner over the cover girl eyeliner, not because I like the way it feels, smells or tastes, but in this case, because of the way it was packaged.

Regardless of why I choose to use the things I use throughout life, they are all because of the influence of marketing. Whether it’d be the packaging that attracts me, or the taste and feel to it, marketing is what makes it attractive enough for me to buy over any other substitutes for that certain good.

——–

On another note, I was just asked at the Pit if it was okay for me to have Pepsi with my meal when I asked for Coke. I said absolutely not. I am a huge coke fan because of not only its taste but its classic logo and look (just for the record..), and if the Pit is not willing to break off its agreement with Pepsi and endorse Coke instead, I think I will have to eat somewhere else. 😛  I guess that is a part of marketing.. or at least a very extreme type of loyalty to the product..

→ No CommentsTags: Uncategorized

Hello world!

January 12th, 2011 · 1 Comment

Welcome to UBC Blogs. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

→ 1 CommentTags: Uncategorized