Foot on the brake

by rebecca ~ December 3rd, 2004. Filed under: Floating Fish?.

Although I shouldn’t be slowing down yet, I find I am physically feeling a bit lazy; no, I had better say I finally have the time to feel the exhaustion in my bones.

The two online grad classes are done, but now I am the appointed official organizer for a three-day English intensive retreat and those stacks and stacks of ignored papers which need marking call my name impatiently: “Hey, when are ya going to assign us meaningless little numbers?”

Instead, I am dreaming about not having to come into the office on Saturday and Sunday for the first time in months (ooo, I can lie on the electric carpet in my fuzzy grey socks, eat tangerines and read novels!).

I didn’t realize how much time it takes to study via computer, but now I know. Next term I will only take one class. I learned a lot of new words and concepts, such as cascading style sheets, file structure, f2f, blog, RSS feeds, hyperlink, and radical humanism. I learned to be wary of techno-utopians as well as of techno-cynics, as both camps have their biases.

I enjoyed being a student again–it gave my brain a bit of acceleration and we took a short spin around the block.