Greeting the awkward Japanese/Canadian

I grew up in Canada and feel like I am used to most of the customs that we have there, but I did grow up in a Japanese family where we eat Japanese food, celebrate Japanese holidays, and visit ALL our family back in Japan atleast once a year.  So although I am pretty Canadian, I still have a lot of things about me that I think are considered Japanese.

This sometimes rubs up with Mexican/Latin culture in some interesting ways.  Example in the case of this blog post: greetings and personal space.

So in Canada, depending on who you are, you hug goods friends if you haven’t seen them in a while or if that is just what you’re into when you see each other. That’s cool, thats fine. I think it’s partly because of my Japanese background and mostly because I am an awkward human but I find this a bit….uncomfortable. I have just always had this problem. If the other person initiates the hug I am all for it, but I am not going to start that shit.   Like, dude my sister used to hug me as a way to bother me. I just don’t physically embrace like North American (or Latin) culture does.

In Japan and other Asian cultures, there is a lot more personal space (in some ways, ignore those images of packed trains), less physical contact and less open affection. Youtube evidence: there is a video of asian kids randomly telling their parents they love them and recording how the parents react to this. So yeah, it’s a thing.

It’s not that we love each other less, or I appreciate my friends less than other cultures.  Us Asian families, we show our love in other ways.

So, this physical contact thing. I thought it was hard in Canada. Well here in Mexicoyou are in the land of latin culture baby. Here touching is as normal as…as normal as…tacos!  You touch cheeks every time you say hi, bye, walking by, meeting others SO MUCH TOUCHING AND CLOSENESS. And I am not even in a couple things, that is like a whole nutha level.

Part 2

Body language, and body things are funny things. So in Mexico, when you greet eachother you kiss a cheek. What else is common in Mexico? Well I made you some GIFS to show you! I’ve also added some body language from Northern Canada and what a lot of Inuit people do,  as a comparison too 🙂

1) Saying YES in Inuit culture and Mexican culture.

When I was in Pangnirtung in the summer of 2013, I got used to saying Yes and No using the facial expressions that are common up there. I remember when I first arrived I would ask a question to a kid in the community, and they would reply with their face, but I didn’t get they were saying yes so I would repeat the question….

Yes (Inuit)

Raise the eyebrows people!

In Mexico however, there is a different way of saying yes. Although people do understand the nodding of the head that is common back home, there is also the finger moving, often used in more non-formal occasions.

output_W975Lt

Just more fluid and faster than this gif

2) Saying No with Inuit facial expression

3) Saying thank you in Mexican culture. I have often encountered this when I offer something (like food) and the person doesn’t want it but wants to say like, “no thank you”. But I am told it just means thank you . Use it when crossing the street. At first it  feels rude, like you’re flipping someone off. Just get used to it !

output_b4wu43 (1)

Try to maybe look happier than I do but not 100% necessary

And there you have it! Some quick body language greetings used in Mexico and parts of Northern Canada.

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One Response to Greeting the awkward Japanese/Canadian

1. Madi

These GIFs are fantastic. Most especially since the woman behind me on the train also likes them.