Signs of Summer

Posted by: | May 31, 2010 | Leave a Comment

“The touch of their tufts was much softer than silk, and they had the sweet smell of fresh butterfly milk!” … Dr. Seuss

Clematis seed

I can’t help it, there’s something so “Seussian” about the look of wild clematis gone to seed.  It makes me want to shout, “I am the Lori, I speak for the trees!”   These are the purple flower referenced in the April 21 blog  titled, “Positively Lush.”  The petal has surrendered to the wind leaving this truffula-type seed in its place.  I told you it was short lived but in truth this is my favourite presentation of this plant, in its seed state. They’ll dry out over the summer and some will drop to the ground but many will cling to the stem and remain like furry skeletons over the winter. Oh! Clematis, there needs to be a song about you.

The Clematis gone to seed is a clear indicator we’re on our way to summer.  All the recent rain has been welcome juice for everything that thrives here. Bellevue Creek is gushing and in turn that means North Fork Creek, the little waterway that comes through the park, is also full.

Maple Keys

Fresh lime green wings of maple keys are also an indicator of the season.  The maple in Woodhaven provides for eye candy all year round. New season stems are thick sangria red right now and the leaf is almost a jade green.

Wild Rose

And here, the wild rose.  I notice I want to call it ballerina pink but logic tells me it must be rose pink.  Nevertheless, there is a delicate pirouette like quality to this plant. It’s highly recommended that you lean in and smell this one. This is what a real rose smells like. Check for bees first though because they’re actively pollinating right now. Look for the wild rose growing along the fence line and dotted throughout the interior of the forest.

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” Dr. Seuss

The Woodhaven Eco Art summer projects will be launched Saturday, July 17th at 1:30. Mark it on your calender.  

…another friendly reminder that all photos on this blog are by Lori Mairs unless otherwise noted, please ask permission if you wish to use any image.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind