Student Projects

The Social Plague: Analyzing the Rise of Cancel Culture

Nikki Laude
Bachelor of Commerce specializing in Business and Computer Science
KEYWORDS: Cancel Culture, Social Media, Accountability, User Participation

Describe your project in a few lines
This study examines the potential reasons behind the recent intensification of cancel culture amongst young people. Cancel culture refers to a modern phenomenon that takes place online in which individuals are publicly called out for their mistakes. This study highlights the importance of obtaining balanced perspectives before making judgments and discusses whether cancel culture is an effective practice for holding individuals accountable for their mistakes.

What made you interested in this topic?
Previous studies have recognized the role of social media in the rapid development of cancel culture; however, there lacked discussion on the reasons why it is so present in society today. I personally developed a deep interest in this topic after recently witnessing how several celebrities I follow have been “canceled” online. Given that young people now spend an average of three hours on social media daily, I believed it was important to understand the causes and implications of constant exposure to negativity online.

What kind of research did you do for this paper?
I focused my research on a case study of social media influencer Charli D’Amelio and the backlash she received from a controversial YouTube video. I chose this case because it exemplified a harmless and minor offense that received unjustified amounts of negative attention online. I examined a variety of perspectives from social media platforms such as YouTube, Twitter, and Quora to better understand what led netizens to “cancel” Charli so harshly. I also identified common themes and ideas in news articles and used Google Search Trends to perform visual observations of interest surrounding this event over time.

What advice would you give to students who are beginning their research in WRDS150?
I found that the most crucial part of the process was finding the perfect research question. When considering a research question, consider whether it clearly addresses a knowledge gap and whether it is feasible given the short timeframe of the study. Consider topics that have interested you in the past and look at current events in the news or social media to gather inspiration for your research. Although this first step may take a lot of time, be patient and properly invest time into this. Once you find the perfect research question, the rest of the process becomes much easier and straightforward.

Link to Project