Marketing Six Feet Under

While I was strolling on the Canadian Marketing Association website, I came across this interesting piece of article called “Marketing Six Feet Under“. In the article, the writer points out how the funeral business is initiating new non-traditional marketing tactics such as producing short films and online advertising.

I guess in this rapid changing economy and its growing technology, everyone needs to change and adapt to survive in the business. As the blog article pointed out, the funeral business is not only changing their marketing strategy but also re-positioning themselves in a more positive angle. Instead of the dark, cold and cruel feelings which are what  funerals used to stand for, the new version of funerals is aimed to celebrate the lives of the deceased rather than mourning for them.

While reading the article, I recalled an interesting conversation with one of my friends who recently had a family member pass away. An interesting fact she told me was that this Shanghai cemetery is thinking of implementing bar-codes on the new tombstones which can be scanned by a smart phone and allow the living to view the bibliography of the deceased. As sorry as I was for her loss, I thought the idea was fascinating.

No doubt, the previously matured death industry has brought itself back to the growing stage. After reading this blog post, I think even I am interested in pre-planning my own funeral.