Comments on “Scott Oelkers and Hatsune Miku”

Today I read an interesting blog “Scott Oelkers and Hatsune Miku, Together at Last in Crazy Video From Domino’s Japan” written by John Tejada. The bog is about a measure of promotion of pizza initiated by Domino, in which  Domino uses Hatsune Miku, a holographic avatar created for a “singing synthesizer application” from Crypton Future Media, as the stunt to promote its pizza among Japan.

I would say this is a great example about how a company create a specific tactic of promotion based on the local market. Pizza is one of the popular fast food in the world, but there are many alternatives of it such as hamburger, sandwich, hot dog and other form of fast food. So biggest question Domino is facing is: how could Domino differentiate its pizza in the relatively pure-competition fast food market? Japan is a country that highly value the anime industry. The anime of Japan is very popular and famous to both domestic   Japanese and foreigners in other countries.

As the table shows, the anime helps Japan make 207.1 billions RMB in 2005, which is equivalent to 34.52 billions in U.S dollar.

Therefore, recalling Japaneses’ passion to anime is a key to open the door of fast food market. I believe Domino’s promotion tactic will succeed for the following reasons: 1) the combination of mobile app and the theme of Hatsune Miku will improve the information searching experience for customers. When consumers use the adorable app to order pizza, they are easily in a happy mood so create a positive point of view to the Domino Pizza; 2) when people get the delivery, they are easily surprised by the packaging of Hatsune Miku and what effort Domino does for differentiating the products, which leads to a happy mood; 3) after customers finish the pizza, they can even play the mobile app, which further strengthens customers’ post-purchasing experience.

If I were a Japanese, I would buy that pizza, what about you?