Comments on Jacky Chen’s Blog

When I reviewed Jacky’s Blog, I found an interesting topic — the pricing strategy of Best Buy. It is about that Best Buy now prices match against other retailer competitors’ price such as Future Shop, Memory Express and so on. So if a person go to Best Buy and see a product’s price is higher than that in other retailer stores, he can get the same price if he shows the evidence to the staff in Best Buy. The evidence can be the screenshot of the information on the main websites and a photo of the product’s price shown in the store.

In fact, this “pricing matching” strategy has been widely used before so if Best Buy just started to use this strategy, it is far behind its competitors. When I bought my computer, I went to a online shopping website http://www.shopbot.ca. This website can display a bunch of information such as the price of the computer, where I can buy the computer and who the seller is. You will not buy a computer from a stranger, all the information that the website provides to you is directly collected from authorized Canadian dealer. So when you look for the computer and arrange the information from a low price to a high price, you can easily see which retailer gives you the lowest price. A number of retailers have the price matching policy, however, Memory Express has more than that.

In order to attract more customers, Memory Express has a price beat guarantee. As the guarantee says, “Memory Express will beat any authorized Canadian retailers by 25% of the difference in price. It will beat any price both in sores and on website. It will beat any price up to 7 days after the purchase.” In addition, right now Memory Express will match the shipping price of its competitors.

More and more retailers engage in the more and more fierce price war, who has the laugh for the end of the race? Express Memory? Best Buy? Future Shop? or Customers?