Finding New Markets

I do receive tongs of spams every week. Telus and Shaw, the case we talked about in class, is one of them. It seems that companies in tertiary industry would focus more directly on customers as they tend to expand. As a Shaw customer, Telus offers me amazingly good deal which would likely make me change my internet provider immediately as you look at the numbers on their leaflet. And I know Shaw would have done the same thing: actually they just did it and that’s how I became Shaw’s customer.

For a company like Shaw or Telus, giving customers favorable terms is the most popular method to grab new customers from competitors. Others, like a restaurant, their business isn’t built on contract signed with customers so they would probably focus on the qualified service they provide, like a new menu, newly renovated tables and chairs, and so on.

Although entering new markets quite depends on customers, other factors also matter. For companies in the primary and secondary industry, like manufacturing companies, expanding their market share would more likely depend on the technical factors. A great example is Apple. Apple also value a lot on customer service but the “killer”is still technology. They keep their market share and ensure the increase of new customers by inputting a great number of money as the R&D funding. The result is obvious. Apple continually publish new product yearly, or sometimes monthly.  Here is the link talking about the new coming iphone 5s: http://www.knowyourcell.com/news/1795011/apple_budget_iphone_5s_patent_revealed.html

In conclusion, as I mentioned, no matter a company relies directly on customers like Telus or indirectly attracts customers by new technology, the key point is always the people who are willing to reach into pockets for you. To clarify it, just think about what’s at the center of the situational analysis diagram.