Should Disney Make Its Free Gaming Apps Pay?

Disney released a sequel to Where’s My Water, a hit smartphone game about a showering alligator. It started as a paid download and then became a free app with in-game purchases for the sequel (After completing multiple free levels, players must either take a forced short rest or pay for added energy.). As the iPhone top-grossing chart shows, the game is losing more and more players because they are not willing to pay for the game. However, since mobile games are a major growth opportunity, Where’s my Water 2 is really a new challenges for Disney to shift marketplace.

Here is my SWOT analysis for the game.

Strengths Weaknesses
1. original

2. free version

3. high awareness by players

4. fancy and attractive

1. players have to pay after certain level

2. overdue traction

3. hard to make profit

4. easy to be out of date

5. consumer protection groups are concerned that children are being asked to buy things during the heat of game play

Opportunities Threats
1. new sequel

2. make money by selling virtual goods and upgrades

3. unfulfilled children consumers need

4. more advertising income

5. create reasonable way of charge

1. competition with popular games

2. more and more other free games enter the app market

3. Policy changes from Disney

4. Changes in consumer preferences

I think Disney should make this game free. They can make money by selling virtual goods and upgrades, as Walt Disney Company has a huge platform for these selling. For example, the game Angry Bird develops tons of toys and cloths, which have good sale.

Also, Disney should make the serial in a quick pace to ensure players have affection for this game.

Resource: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/business/media/disney-struggles-to-make-its-free-gaming-apps-pay.html?ref=business