[Week 2 Discussion] Unpacking Assumptions

I believe the good use of technology in learning math and science could be leveraged to solve math and science classrooms’ most challenging problem: learning engagement. For my undergrad, I studied math and business at the University of Waterloo. I’ve noticed there is a big difference between pure math classrooms and applied math (stats, finance, and other business-related courses) classrooms. Back then, our most popular professors in pure math shared something in common: they were reluctant to use any of the technologies (except a pen and the whiteboard) in classrooms. On the other hand, professors in applied math courses brought many updated technologies into the classrooms and passionately recommended students to have a run/look by themselves. As a plus, many instructors provided lab hours and tutors to help students self-explore these technologies and work on optional bonus projects. This difference in the use of technologies made me look around students sitting around me. My classmates were highly engaged in math itself in pure math classrooms. In contrast, in applied math classrooms, some students have a more complex educational background and weaker willingness to solve challenging math problems.

The variety of technologies would offer students with lower engagement in learning: practical tools to visualize concepts, fun opportunities to explore related topics of personal interests, and empowered channels for interactive learning. Similar to the integration of tech in my math classes, I believe the essential in designing the learning environment for all subjects should consider how to increase the students’ initiatives.