ETEC533 Week 10 Discussion: Synthesis Forum

I appreciate this opportunity to compare and contrast 4 TELEs after learning some challenging topics in math and science classrooms. They all present effective knowledge constructions through inquiry-based learning activities facilitated by technologies, with different highlights and limitations. Among the 4 cases provided by the course content, I particularly love the My World and related GIS projects since it provides a meaningful purpose for students to learn content knowledge. GIS-related projects could also develop life-long skills and promote life-long learnings. The best part is the GIS technology and LfU design framework have the potential to be adopted by teachers in any subject and any grade (not limited to math and science only).

Cognition and Technology Group at Vanderbilt (1992). The Jasper experiment: An exploration of issues in learning and instructional design. Educational Technology, Research and Development, 40(1), 65-80

Edelson, D.C. (2001). Learning-for-use: A framework for the design of technology-supported inquiry activities. Journal of Research in Science Teaching,38(3), 355-385.

Khan, S. (2007). Model-based inquiries in chemistry. Science Education, 91(6), 877-905.

Linn, M., Clark, D., & Slotta, J. (2003). Wise design for knowledge integration. Science Education, 87(4), 517-538.