Task 12: Speculative Futures

PART I

Today is the first day of Alex’s first job as a financial consultant at G&S Wealth Management. He is nervous. He is only 18 years old and graduated from the academy of finance 2 months ago.

In the academy, Alex spent the first year learning all potential career paths in the finance industry, and the second year studying professional knowledge for financial consultants.  In the third year’s final exam, he was the student that achieved A+ in 94 out of 100 cases in the simulation room. That extraordinary transcript made him the student of the year and bought him a job offer at this very young age. Many of his fellow friends are left behind in their simulation rooms until they passed.

Thinking of his past experiences, Alex knows he shouldn’ t be worried about the job anymore. He already heard from many people that the reality is a lot less intimidating than the simulation room.  Alex walked into the company building with confidence.

“Hi, nice to meet you. You must be Alex M. I’m your personal assistant Alex-1. Welcome to G&S Wealth Management. Please allow me to lead the way to your office.”

“Thank you Alex -1. ”

“If you have anything in doubts, please let me know. Onboarding materials will be transmitted to your chip, do you agree?”

” Yes, I agree.”

“Transmitted. The schedule will be transmitted to your chip, do you agree?”

” Yes, I agree.”

“Transmitted. Here is your office. Until the welcome team lunch, you will have 2 hours and 45 minutes to review the boarding materials and install your company account. ”

Alex reviews the new package sent to his chip implanted in his brain, which could also help him learn during sleep. “hmm… these company products require 8 hours of learning. It looks like I need to postpone the psychology course for tonight.” Alex thinks.

PART II

Today is the second day of Alex’s new job. According to the schedule that Alex-1 arranges, Alex will be meeting his first client Shelly. Shelly is a fresh graduate from a university and she made this appointment to redeem the trust fund under her name.

When Alex is reviewing the client’s information, he mumbles, “Shelly is different, after all.”  which is undeniable.  Shelly went to a private school after grade 9, then a university. In 2050, the government only provides funds for students from grade 1 to grade 9 and in specialized academies. Also, the government offers free implanting service of brain chips for teenagers between 12-16. Therefore, like parents of Alex, most of the families choose to send their children to specialized academies after grade 9 and hope their children could become a highly trained staff at a young age. In fact, they had no choice. The growing scarcity of natural resources has raised living expenses dramatically. However, Alex is not jealous of his client; he is the pride of the family: he brings cash back home weekly, and he continues studying by purchasing night classes at a promotional price instead of playing games while sleeping.

9:30 a.m., Alex finally meets his client, Shelly. While they are processing all the tedious profile work, Alex can’t resist his curiosity towards college life. “Do you party all the time at the university? I don’t understand why there are still some people going to universities. Everything can be shared with our chips and learn during nights, right?”

“Yep.. you are right at some points. My class of 2050 only recruited 27 students. And all of us had to take notes and memorize knowledge at people form 20’s. Trust me, university life was terrible for us.” Shelly wears a wry smile.

“I can’t believe it! Where are your brain chips?”

“Since all of us applied for the Space Exploration Project. Surgeries of removing chips from our brain have a high possibility of failure. But anyone who applies for the Space Exploration Project is not allowed to have any implanted body chips. After all, no one knows what damage could this electronic could make in our future home…”

For the first time, the office is surrounded by silence. After a while, Alex asks, “Forgive my curiosity, so today you are redeeming your fund to…”

“I will be leaving with my class on the spaceship NO.000292 to search for an ideal home with plenty of food for 96 billion earth citizens. The launch date is the next Monday. So today, I will be donating the money to my school for students who are willing to apply for the Exploration Project. “Shelly adds, “haha, and learn exactly like 20’s.”