General Motors introduces online sales!

General Motors introduces an online shopping platform that allows customers to purchase new cars on the internet. This allows customers to skip the showroom ritual when buying new cars. This expansion of a web-based application is primarily targeted towards online-savvy consumers as well as customers who does not have the time to go to a car dealership. This implementation allows easy accessibility to the company’s products and may include more of a variety than local car dealerships.

Though GM’s message to expand their market and open to a larger customer base is clear, I do not believe that the company will gain much success with this action. There are certain products that are not meant to be sold online like groceries or everyday necessities. Personally, there are several factors I must take into consideration when purchasing a car. I must be able to test drive the vehicle making sure that I am comfortable with it as well as being able to instantly acquire the vehicle after purchase. Many of these factors can potentially “make or break” a deal when it comes to customer values. However, I may be completely wrong as the company have taken appropriate amount of steps to evaluate their customer’s preferences and demands. It is too soon to determine whether this online platform will be able to benefit or destroy the company in the future.

Work Cited:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303492504579111752452221502