Re: Fairfax Financial taking over BlackBerry

Through browsing through my classmate’s COMM 101 blogs, I read a topic that appealed to my own personal interests. In this blog:  Fairfax Financial taking over BlackBerry my classmate Lance Wu shared his own opinion on the reason behind the downfall of BlackBerry in the smartphone market.

Though his opinions displayed very intriguing insights, I believe that there are other factors that impacted the fall of BlackBerry. I am convinced that the BlackBerry and Apple example he mentioned can be easily compared to the Kodak and digital cameras example we discussed in class. When BlackBerry revolutionized our lives with smartphones we never expected that BlackBerry phones would soon “disappear”. Furthermore, if BlackBerry effectively acknowledge Apple as a severe threat they wouldn’t be in a similar situation as Kodak was. I also believe BlackBerry changing their phone’s keyboard structure into touch screens is not really a prime factor. Something that BlackBerry lacks from Apple and other mobile phones is the amount of new innovative features they offer. The success of the Iphone is through the features they offer like the App Store where app developers are allowed to upload their creation for consumers to either download for free or pay for them. This was only one of the many factors that BlackBerry initially overlooked and it was too late when they realized producing relatively the same type of phones with minimal additional features became unsuccessful.