Green Marketing Blog

The M sandwitch~~~~mmmmmm

October 15th, 2010 · No Comments

McDonalds is clearly starting to change, or at least expand its target market.

I remember reading somewhere how economy reflected the babyboomer stages of life. As they were toddlers the baby industry was roaming. Then as they entered school – industry relocated itself towards those needs. Now as they enter the older age there is more emphasis on comfort for elderly, more pension plans, and vacation packages for older generation.

Recently we were looking at how McDonalds changed the look of its fastfood restaurants. More wood, three areas for different segments of market, new colors, etc. I think they are going even further now with this new advertisement:

McDonalds M Sandwitch

Now, what does this ad say to you? If you have McDonald’s M sandwich you are EXPERT in so many areas. Its no junkfood! Its EXPERT food.

I think they are trying to appeal to educated, status segment that “eats what it is” not just grabs whatever is closes to their office.

Where was I heading with the Babyboomers example? I think McDonalds is also following this pattern – it follows its market as it enters new stages in life. The young funloving, color loving teenagers perhaps are graduating from college and want to see themselves as “professionals” and “experts”. So, McDonalds will give that status to them.

Now, I also noticed that this ad is from Europe, so it is likely that this marketing strategy is aimed towards European segment (geographic element). McDonalds in Europe is quite different from North American one. European McDonalds has McCafe, which serves sandwiches and pastry along with coffee, lattes, mochas, and tea.

Nevertheless, I think McDonalds is doing quite a bit to change its image and expand its appeal to greater variety of users.

Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.