Your cloud data could be stored in the ocean?

Ever think about where all the data on the phone is store in? Where does the cloud really mean? And where do they exist?

I never gave a second thought about where all the information our phone is stored on and what a data center looks like or how it operates. So when I came across this article it was really interesting to find out more about data centers and its environmental impact.

Essentially a data center is a facility used to store computer systems, that’s where all our backed up data is stored. In order to ensure the safety of our data, these centers often are in controlled environments with air conditioning in case something catches on fire or the computers overheat. This air conditioning would be blasted 24/7 for as long as the existence of these centers.

Microsoft has been testing a project called Natick, it’s aimed to decrease the cost of these data centers by moving them into the ocean! Yes, UNDER WATER! By moving them under water, it will not only save a lot of space in terms of warehousing, but also act as a natural cooler system, this would mean huge saving in electricity bills. Find out more! 

Although I do not believe this project is driven with saving the planet in mind, the savings in costs is definitely a factor that drives for innovations in ideas like this. The positive side effect is a bonus, which really proves that innovations driven by cost savings can have positive environmental implications as well. What are some other innovations in the industry that you can think of? Do you think this could be applied to other applications apart from data centers?

One thought on “Your cloud data could be stored in the ocean?”

1. Hi Yuxi. Great post! I agree that it’s important for us to consider the environmental impact of the things we often take for granted, data storage in this case. However I think this is more of a marketing piece than anything else, akin to Amazon and its drones. The idea doesn’t seem particularly practical but serves as a good piece of PR for Microsoft. These high-tech companies often dabble in experimental ideas to keep each other on their toes.