Sauder Frosh Pro-Rape Chant

Much drama has gone down these past few days regarding Sauder Frosh, an orientation program designed for first year students at the Sauder School of Business. It was broadcast on national television that froshees, students attending frosh, were seen in public chanting cheers that encouraged underage sex with minors.

After reading about what happened, I was personally shocked to know that the chant had been a part of frosh culture, being repeated at every years frosh event. While I do agree that sometimes slightly course language is conducive to ice-breaking and bonding, I have to say that the pro-rape chant was extremely inappropriate and uncalled for.

It was also reported that some student leaders had mentioned how the chant was not supposed to be done in public places. I personally found this the most unacceptable part of the article. A pro-rape chant is still a pro-rape chant, whether done privately or in public. And thanks to this, the reputation that took the Sauder School and UBC many years to build has hit the dust. And though as a Sauder student I should not be saying this, but I am glad that this chant has come to light and I sincerely hope that the people responsible for the promotion of this chant have learned their lessons.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/09/09/bc-ubc-frosh-rape-chant.html