Relating Myself to Amy Perreault’s Work on Aboriginal Initiatives

I am a second generation Chinese-Canadian, completing the Teacher Education program at the University of British Columbia as a guest on the unceded territory of the Musqueam people.  For as long as I can remember, I had always felt a deep sense of injustice on behalf of Aboriginal people, but I did not have the words and understanding to articulate why.  I knew something was wrong, but because of the lack of candid education about Canadian history, and the lack of respectful discussion surrounding Aboriginal issues, I was left in a place where I felt helpless.  How do I negotiate between my position as someone who benefits from a system that is based on systematic oppression and a desire to make a positive change for Aboriginal people and other Canadians?  As I reflect on my convictions and sociohistorical positioning, I also wonder, at what point did I diverge from mainstream attitudes regarding First Nations, Inuit and Métis people?  Somewhere along the way, someone said something that stirred up my social conscience regarding human issues, and here I am now, finally beginning to see how I can plant seeds of change in the path that I walk as an educator.  At some point in my career, I hope that I can be that person who says or does something that inspires a student to have compassion for other human beings, and then act upon that compassion.

When asked about why she wanted to become a doctor, my friend, Dr. Sasha Ho Farris Nyirabu, wrote that her mission is to:

[…] Prosper a deeper sensitivity and appreciation of our humanity, grasped through the propinquity of others’ suffering, struggles, and needs, recollecting the contributions of visionary physicians who possessed profound moral inner convictions and resolute integrity, who, in the face of personal hardships and disappointments, selflessly sacrificed time, talents, and resources for the good of the sick, needy, and disenfranchised (2013). 

Though Sasha is a physician, I can relate to her sentiments through the lens of an educator.  A point worth reflecting on is that the “sick” and “needy,” in my mind, may not necessarily only refer to those who are visibly oppressed, but to those in privileged places.  In short, for anyone who is interested in making change, there is a lot of work to be done.

Sources: http://www.cair.ca/en/news/spotlight/index.php?r=8