My Coded Soul: A Letter to Computer Science

So, hi. I deserve the Worst Blogger Ever award. I sort of have an excuse, though. My soul has quite literally been consumed by computer science for the past two months. Just take a look at this:

ComputerScience

By some magical miracle, though, I just finished our latest assignment, which is what brought me back to you lovely people. 🙂

Have you ever taken a course that makes you question everything about your existence? That makes you demonize everyone and everything involved with it, and has you absolutely 100% convinced that the professor’s sole purpose in life is to make you miserable and fail you?

Okay…so I might be a tad dramatic. But if you’re at UBC, I’m going to assume you’ve experienced something similar. I’ve mostly recovered from my the whole entire world hates me shtick, but there are still a couple of things that I just cannot wrap my head around.

1. First of all, lambda. Who honestly decided that naming a creepy mathematical / computer science symbol after a fuzzy, adorable animal was a good idea? I will never be able to listen to Mary the same way.

lambda

2. Harry Potter does not make everything better. I can’t believe I just said that – I thought those words would never come out of my mouth. But if you ask me to design a function that counts the number of wizards in an arbitrary-arity tree using generative recursion and lost-context accumulators? I’m not going to be happy about it, no matter who’s involved. Sorry, Dumbledore.

3. < Solving an obnoxiously difficult problem. I believe the first time this happened I texted my friend saying “I AM A GOD.” -> because see the above. If you can do that, you deserve major credit.

I could blab on about a whole heap of things that would make me laugh hysterically and mean absolutely nothing to you, so I’m going to stop there.

P.S. I just said “whole heap” without even thinking about it. Am I English yet?