1. What is AR?

Visual Intense Learning

In the past, learning was mainly conducted through the means of writing. Thus, information was conveyed and processed through writing. Overtime, education has changed due to technology and the way in which the modes of communication have changed and are changing. Text is no longer the only way to convey a message. Educators now look for means that communicate ideas, or knowledge to their audience in the best format possible. Many individuals learn better when they are exposed to information in different formats, especially when they can use other senses such as visualization to comprehend what they are being exposed to. “Visual learning is a teaching and learning style in which ideas, concepts, data and other information are associated with images and techniques” (Visual Learning, 2012). Visual Intense Learning recognizes that visual components are a means of communication and can be used to share ideas and knowledge in multiple formats.

Although, there are many visual components that can be utilised to bring learning alive and to make it more engaging and hands-on for learners; we chose to focus on Augmented Reality as a visual tool for learning.

What is Augmented Reality?

The term Augmented Reality (AR) sounds very technical, but it is something that is already present in many of the graphics we see and the technologies we use. We are just not aware that we are in the process of viewing an augmented artifact. Augmented reality is an additional digital visual component that is generated and applied to a pre-existing environment. For example, when you are watching a football game on television, the game you are watching is taking place on a football field that is real. The players you are viewing are also real, but what you may not realize is that some of the lines or zonal areas that you see on the screen to help you process what is going on in the game have been computer generated. They have been added into the picture to enhance the overall image and make it easier for the viewer to process.

Many technologies have been created that help to augment reality. These technologies use the process of combining the real and the virtual to produce an interactive real-time visualization which the brain must register in 3D.  “The key part of AR is that you need to place a layer of virtual information over your view of the real world and, in order to do that, there must be a device in between to display that information upon” (Sung , 2011).

Augmented Reality Applied to Education

Augmented Reality can be used as a means of bringing education alive. A lot of times students are not able to understand a concept because they are not able to see it or they cannot visualize the information that is being conveyed to them. They are disengaged or lack focus towards content they are learning because it does not draw them in and does not appeal to them. Augmented Reality can reach out to these learners. It allows for leaning to cater to different leaning styles and allows for authentic learning. The learning process can become more explorative, hands on and student driven. Learners’ can feel more connected to their learning because it is more contextual and engaging.  Currently many tools are being created in the hope of developing new means of using existing technology to make learning interactive by creating 3D visuals that can be used in the classroom in all subject areas.

Sung , D. (2011, February 28). What is augmented reality?. Pocket-lint. Retrieved from http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/38795/what-is-augmented-reality-ar

Teaching & learning with visual-intensive courses in the disciplines. (2012, May 24). Main Session – CxC Summer Institute. [Video podcast]. Retrieved from http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22819302

Visual learning. (2012, October 13). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 19:07, October 13, 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Visual_learning&oldid=517534775

26 thoughts on “1. What is AR?

1. Excellent overview of what AR is and how it can Augment the classroom. I liked the concept of being able to viewing a person’s Facebook profile or additional information in real time as you view them from your smartphone camera. Look forward to an app like that…

I enjoyed viewing AR in Classroom video that shows how instructors can make teaching more engaging by bringing static monuments and objects to life using the ARSights application. The 3D effect does add a new dimension to the learning experience and would help in longer term retention. I will download the application and try it out myself in the next few days. Thanks for sharing guys!

• Hi Ranvir,
      3D technology definitely is exciting and interactive. Although this kind of technology has been around for a while, 3D televisions for example, its true potential in education has not been explored to its full extent. It will be interesting to see how augmented reality will be received and used not only un museums, but also classrooms.
      Manny

• I think the benefits (or drawbacks) of AR will not be truly realized until a sufficient penetration of this technology has occurred. For at this point, when it is being regularly used by large portions of society, that novel and disastrous uses will be discovered and at times implemented.

However, it is essential to discuss how this might this benefit education? For visual learners, I think this might be a boon. Making novels, and science, and math more engaging (if one was able to manipulate or interact with the virtual image). However, it may also create another variable that further distances students from the real world, creating individuals who are even more dependent on technology to function…

Thoughts?

I will end by providing the TED Talk on Sixth Sense technology – even though it is not pretty, it successfully augments reality in non-intrusive ways, while maintaining an appropriate price.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

Thoughts?

• I’d have to agree Tom, much like any new technology it will take time to truly see the results, whether they be postive or negative. For the most part it seems like a flashy gimic, but in the hands of the proper minds I can see this taking off. I’m thinking ‘Minortity Report’ when certain advertisements, information and greetings are specific to those who are in the area of the technology.

Some neat things are already out there, and in terms of literature, IMAG-N-O-TRON is putting a whole new spin on pop up books. Link here –
          http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/09/k-12/video-playing-with-the-augmented-reality-app-imag-n-o-tron/

It certainly looks engaging, but does it really make the learning better? Perhaps.

• Great presentation, I have to say I didn’t know a lot about AR and I have definitely learned a lot. I also agree with Tom that I think this technology is a long way off from being used in mainstream society but I can see it being used in the future.
          My first question is what is the direction that technology will take? Last weeks presentation on cloud computing brought up the point how we are moving to less powerful devices that will run the programs through the cloud. Now when we look at AR and the resources that are required locally to process all the visual inputs would again require very powerful mobile devices or hardware. Either that or you need extremely fast connections transferring a large amount of data and access to very large data banks.
          The other issue is privacy especially when someone is able to identify someone’s name, possibly their address and other information just by looking at them. Obviously there will need to be controls in place for safety reasons but how secure will those be?
          My last thought is what will happen to just plain conversation? Now you meet a person and exchange small talk and get to know that person. In the future will we just access all the information about the person and know more about them before we even say hello? It is always interesting to look at technology and how society will be different as a result in the future but I can’t help but think also of the skills that will be lost in the process. Just a few thoughts that I had while viewing your presentation. Good job!

• I agree that AR is interesting, however I wonder about the social implications of apps that can recognize facial features, then scan the Internet for relevant information about you. For some this may prove helpful (I myself am horrible with names, and this might benefit me)… however, some individuals out there utilize information inappropriately, and there will be fall out from that.

Therefore, I would hope that society would cautiously enter such a reality, instead of trying to make course corrections as we go…

Thoughts?

2. What a great introduction! I honestly wasn’t sure what was meant by augmented reality when I first saw the topic for this week, but I think your group did a good job in clearly explaining it and its relation to education without overloading with too much information.

3. This was a nice, simple introduction to AR.

There is a plugin available for Google SketchUp that does the same thing as she was doing with the Eiffel Tower, but you do it with your own models that you created. A friend of mine used to do this with his students. They created their own models, then, when they gave their presentations, they used the AR layer in a video to present it.

It costs money but there’s a trial version that I think lasts a while.

http://www.inglobetechnologies.com/en/new_products/arplugin_su/info.php

4. Complete and comprehensive intro to AR. Impressive because it’s a fairly complex idea and your delivery, while simplistic, explained it quite well. Nice work.

5. I like the addition of the NFL, and the augmented reality they have incorporated, which adds so much information, yet for myself, does not take away from the game significantly. However, I need to point out that not all AR has been met with positive results, as witnessed here:

http://stevenlebron.com/post/20124355331/the-glowing-puck

Hockey’s attempt in the 1990’s, still leaves a sour taste in many people’s mouths.

Thoughts?

• Tom,

I also thought of the NHL’s attempt at AR. Do you think it was viewed as negatively in the USA. I think as a hockey culture “we” (Canadians) were insulted by this attempt. If anyone had enough experience playing or watching hockey you knew where the puck would be. Was this the case in regions less familiar with hockey?

• Yes. I remember the puck debacle! I wonder if you could be onto something, Tom, was this was a cultural thing? I think it was also a problem, as it tried to fill a need that was not there. Who were they marketing to? I knew where the puck was at 4 years old.

Knowing your market when making this AR tools seems to be critical as I can see there being a big backlash for a lot of it. For example: being able to know everyone’s personal information just by looking at their face through their phone! This positively makes my skin crawl. Think of that possibility in light of the recent tragic event in BC (Amanda Todd’s suicide as a result of bullying). It’s bad enough kids (and adults) have detailed, extensive information following them around through the internet. Do we need to hyperlink their faces to all of their history, background, mistakes, etc..

• Hi Rebecca,
          This is definitely something to consider especially with the introduction of Google Project Glasses, which I felt was really cool but still seemed very surreal. When searching through more YouTube videos related to this, I found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj-6G2d9qPU which exposed, to me personally, a much darker, scarier picture of the technology – blank rooms, people reading all your information to sway a conversation a certain way, living more in a virtual world than the real world.

• If I remember correctly, it was an attempt to try and make the game more enjoyable for American audiences, because the NHL felt (for some reason) that people were having a hard time following the puck.

Further more, the technology that was needed inside of the puck made them quite expensive, and pucks that left the ice were hunted down, instead of letting fans keep them as mementos. So, yes I would agree that just because we have the technology, does not mean we should be using it. Just like any device, or instructional strategy, does it enhance or distract from my learning environment. A lesson we should all learn from…

Thoughts?

• I was listening to sports radio the other day and they were talking about the glowing puck. I think Canadians definitely had a ‘hate on’ for that little ditty, but they did mention that a high percentage of American viewers actually didn’t mind it.

• The move the NHL did with AR was awful, I dont think Americans minded it as much because they weren’t used to watching hockey. Fox was the first American network to televise it.

Canadians’, as Rebecca points out, brains are trained since we were 4 to spot the puck.

I think it didnt work because the technology wasn’t that good either. It was 20 years ago.

I can’t imagine watching NFL games without that first down line AR line on the TV, there is no way we are going backwards on that.

I wonder if with new technology, the NHL could use some AR that would be embraced by viewers. Maybe a MPH on shots in the bottom corner would be cool or something like that. Pucks would need to be improved and have chips installed, but less pucks leave the playing surface due to protective nets behind the goals and penalties given to teams that shoot the puck out of play.

6. Thank you for this introduction. I was thinking of something much more complicated when I first thought of this topic. To know that I am playing around with AR when I use Photobooth on my Mac is fun. Are there newer apps that allow for users to create/view models of buildings and statues that doesn’t require so many steps? I think that there are some interesting discussions that could take place regarding what is “real” and what is “augmented” when we look at TV, Magazines, and Movies.

7. Hello Team,

Thanks for the useful information. Really I had no idea what augmented reality was. Funny that I have witnessed it during every hockey and football game on television. I am very interested to see how this will develop in K to 12 education. I would love to have an app that scans faces and tell me names. After teaching many years, I always feel badly when I student who is much older and looks very different approaches me and knows my name and I can’t remember theirs. I look forward to reading the next pages on your website.
    Best, Jen

8. I think even though AR is still a technology that is relatively new in the field of education, there are many possibilities for its implementation to enhance the learning experience.

• AR can be used to project information about an item. This can be applied to museum displays or outdoor monuments.
    • AR can be used to add information to an existing object through a display medium to enhance the learning experience while students are outside the classroom. This can be applied with technology such as cell phones, iPads and Google Glass.

I think the possibilities are endless. It is too bad that the price for the incorporation of this type of technology into education is still too high for current educational budgets.

James

• I agree that this technology is relatively new, and it may have some educational benefits. However, I wonder if this is a technology that can be easily adopted by a classroom teacher?

I ask, because right now, our district is simply trying to bring Google Docs into our schools, with limited success. This is a technology that in essence people are familiar with, due to the Microsoft Office Suite we have been forced to use forever…

AR, is leap years beyond that… So, will this force educators to pick up their play, or shrink away even more?

Thoughts?

• I see your point, Tom. Just because the technology is available doesn’t mean it will be adopted into current teaching practices. This is very true, because in my opinion “technology incorporation” is still being seen as a sort of “change” to some teachers’ approaches to teaching. If a teacher is unsure of how a technology can be incorporated to facilitate learning, students’ learning experience will be affected.

I think the integration of technology, however, provide some very good opportunities for students to gain 21st century skills. But 21st century skills do not rely on the integration in order to be gained.

So, to answer your question, I think whether or not AR will be picked up by educators in the future will depend on whether or not AR facilitates the skills required by the society in the future. We will see how the NMC predictions play out in 5 years time.

James

9. Thanks for a great introduction to AR.

I can imagine the use of AR in the future in schools. For example, at post-secondary level, many of the student unions are trying to ensure student inclusion. Perhaps the facebook visibility concept may play a role welcoming new students to each other. A kind of ice-breaker. Or, for example, it could be used for a campus tours, where you go on a tour and videos or voices of real students are faded up to tell you about different parts of the school.

In terms of the 3D objects, I agree with the rest of my colleagues, in that it will likely take some time to allow the hardware/software capabilities to catch up with the concept. Not sure if it was just on my end, but the video of the teacher with the 3D objects was broken up. Of course, as in anything, one must be critical to see if this is just for ‘show’ and distracts students, more than it engages them. However, the optimist about technology in me thinks that this can only help learning. For example, if students start to bring this into a ‘show and tell’ situation, but at a higher level and more complex, I think they would be very much engaged and the learning would be meaningful.

I was a little confused as to how to go about this, so I will re-watch and try this myself.

Thank you again for the introduction.

10. I enjoyed your OER. Your group has provided great information and resources. I can’t wait to throw the term “augmented reality” around.

11. Great intro to AR. I didn’t really know exactly what it meant and I liked the cut and dry definition that you and your video clips provided. The 3D modelling could be used in classrooms, but I have a feeling that the effort to get the model up wouldn’t be worth it for most teachers who could put up the 2D image with much more ease.

The whole idea of the 3D models made me think about travel and the learning that happens from actually seeing these architectural wonders of the world live. Would the 3D technology reduce the desire to fly to London and walk on the tower bridge or increase it? Obviously, the 3D modelling is a lot cheaper and quicker to do, so it eventually become a situation with movies based on books, where people take the path of least resistance to get a version of the real deal.

12. Hi everyone, thanks OER team, I like many others mentioned above was not really sure what AR really meant/was and personally I had no real idea of how it could be used in education. Your videos & intro helped clear this up significantly thanks!

I see it maybe also have great potential in certain types of training such as medicine (or perhaps it already is?) for visualization during operations or practicing at least.