Recent Posts

ETEC 540

Text and Technology

begins with an investigation into the origins of the words as well as the concepts.

Here is link to my discoveries about text and technology.

Quotes of interest to each of these topics included these two:

“A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged; it is the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in colour and content according to the circumstances and time in which it is used.” Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

“The spoken word was the first technology by which man was able to let go of his environment in order to grasp it in a new way.” Marshall McLuhan

My introduction to others in the course was this post.

Image Title: Reading in the Subway

On the platform, reading
This image caught my eye since I have recently had subway reading experience. It is a unique environment to escape from one world and into another. The stark, dramatic image of an individual reading in a subway station as the train moves past blends shadow and colour, movement and stillness. For me, this image presents the paradox of the speed of the current textual world and the stillness of being immersed in a good book. It speaks of the exterior world going by while time stands still inside the textual world. It’s a powerful image about what reading is all about. Letting go of everything that may be around and reaching into the text for it’s true meaning. The question remains – did she miss the train?

Commentary One

Paradox and Tension –

graphic organizer for paradox assignment

Research Assignment:

Note to Rote – From Slate to Personal Notebook

image of slate chalkboard and notebook

Rote to Note