Questioning the Sufficiency of an Undergraduate Psychology Degree

As a learner and student, the question would ring up again whenever I succumb to simultaneous mind-wandering and self-reflection mode – what can I do with just a bachelor’s degree in psychology after graduation? It has been very clear that despite the popularity of the psychology major in universities, there are limited career options for holders of only an undergraduate degree in this discipline.

Continue reading

Building international ties to investigate the importance of social relationships and health

By Ellen Stephenson

The Berlin Workshop Group

The Berlin Workshop Group

Faculty and students from the psychology department’s health area recently travelled to Berlin to establish new ties with several research teams there. At the core of the visit was a two-day workshop to explore the importance of social relationships for health outcomes across the adult lifespan. Continue reading

The Whaler’s Pole

On National Aboriginal Day we take a moment to celebrate and honour the rich contributions of Indigenous Peoples.

The Whaler’s Pole was designed and carved by the Nuu Chah Nulth artist Art Thompson (1948-2003), with the assistance of Joe David, Duane Pasco, Gene Brabant, and Glen Wood.

Constructed over two years, from 1981-1982, the pole represents the whaling tradition of the Nuh Chah Nulth peoples. Continue reading

Psych 417A: From a visitor to part of a community

Us With the Globe

Students Samantha Montgomery (Left) and Jasmine Roh (Right)

By Jasmine Roh and Samantha Montgomery

WHO, WHAT, WHERE and WHY?

Having to sum up the experience of Psych 417A proves to be a difficult job as our words may not do real justice to how much we’ve actually seen, learned and experienced through the class itself and the 3-month internship. Continue reading

East Asians and Depression

By Rowena Kong

The difference in rates of depression between East Asians and North Americans has long attracted research which led to many possible explanations for such findings. According to a summary study by Weissman et al. (1996) which analysed the rates of major depressive disorder in different countries based on community surveys,the prevalence rate of Taiwan stood low at 1.5% for every 100 people while that of Korea was a close 2.9%. Continue reading

Psych 417A Blog: Where the journey begins…

By Li (Leigh) Chu

1

Leigh with her placement partner Sarah, and students at the Good Samaritan School for the Deaf

I guess my journey started back in the November of 2014 when I finally signed up for the course “Psychology and Developing Societies” and the International Service Learning (ISL) program. Like many of my peers (or maybe you?), I was quite unsure about my future, especially in terms of how my psychology degree would play a role in my future career. Continue reading

Introducing a new PSYC 417A blog series!

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

By Dr. Sunaina Assanand and Benjamin Cheung

An important goal of education is the application of knowledge to social change. Typically, however, students are presented with limited opportunities to contribute to social change over the course of their education. For the past three years, UBC’s Psychology Department has offered an International Service Learning course that empowers students to act as agents of social change. Continue reading