Psych 417A Blog: Where the journey begins…

By Li (Leigh) Chu

1

Leigh with her placement partner Sarah, and students at the Good Samaritan School for the Deaf

I guess my journey started back in the November of 2014 when I finally signed up for the course “Psychology and Developing Societies” and the International Service Learning (ISL) program. Like many of my peers (or maybe you?), I was quite unsure about my future, especially in terms of how my psychology degree would play a role in my future career. So I was thrilled when I learned about this program through some ISL alumni because I really wanted to know how to apply psychological knowledge in the textbooks to real situations.

Journey with ISL
Pre-departure meetings began in the following January. This program gathered a diverse group of enthusiasts, including students, ISL staff and alumni, who are passionate about international services, which facilitated many interesting discussions. Reflecting back now, I am genuinely thankful for these pre-departure meetings because they really taught me how to engage with an unfamiliar culture with respect, patience, and cautiousness.

Journey with PSYC417A
The course of “Psychology and Developing Societies” was a critical part of my journey. To be honest, this course’s topics were quite challenging for me to comprehend in the beginning. However, I am very grateful that I was in a very engaging class with supportive professors and peers. Although it only lasted for a month before our departure, it truly opened my eyes to issues, such as the need of indigenous psychology in the context of African culture, that I had not considered in the past. Even today, I still often revisit those unresolved questions and debates that we discussed in class on my own.

Journey with the Good Samaritan School for the Deaf in Uganda
My three-month placement took place in a small village called Kitengesa in Uganda with the Good Samaritan School for the Deaf. This school was founded by a well-respected lady, Mrs. Nsamba, with the goal to empower deaf children and break community stigma on deafness through education. Here’s a video that I made while I was there:

To learn more: https://goodsamaritanschoolforthedeaf.wordpress.com/

After one month into our placement, I started to have a number of plans that I would like to implement. For instance, when observing students’ passive attitude towards learning, I wanted to establish a school council to encourage students to take more initiatives in their own learning. After noticing teachers’ lack of interest in teaching, I also wanted to conduct interviews with teachers to understand how the school may improve its education quality. It was then I started to realize the role of psychology in community development. Every goal that I mentioned, including Mrs. Nsamba’s main goal, involves changing people’s beliefs or attitudes in order to alter or shape their behaviours.

My awaiting journeys…
Many people asked me what made me decide to move back to Taiwan after being in Vancouver for over ten years. I think it was mainly because of this journey to Uganda. During my placement, I have met so many amazing individuals who devoted all of their time and energy to their communities. Their dedication inspired me to really think about how I can utilize my psychological knowledge and research skills to research on indigenous topics that would benefit people in my home community in Taiwan.

Read other UBC students’ International Service Learning experiences as part of the PSYC 417A blog series.

About the author
2

Leigh has recently completed her psychology degree and is currently working in Taiwan as a Psychology Research Assistant. She is now specifically passionate about research works that enhance the well-being of older adults and people with disabilities in the context of Chinese culture.

Introducing a new PSYC 417A blog series!

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

By Dr. Sunaina Assanand and Benjamin Cheung

An important goal of education is the application of knowledge to social change. Typically, however, students are presented with limited opportunities to contribute to social change over the course of their education. For the past three years, UBC’s Psychology Department has offered an International Service Learning course that empowers students to act as agents of social change. Continue reading

Tweet Your Knowledge

b8b8e8f0-fa17-0131-e96f-34b52f6f1279

By Benjamin Cheung

Imagine – you’re walking with a friend on the street when, suddenly, a wild spider appears! Your friend, who has arachnophobia, screams at the spider. It wasn’t very effective. The spider stands its ground, staring back at your friend, whose heart rate increases, palms get sweaty, and pupils dilate.

If you weren’t a psychology student, the story might end with either a callous laugh from you, or some empathetic comforting. Continue reading

Want to do something good for your health? Try being generous

By Ashley Whillans, University of British Columbia

Every day, we are confronted with choices about how to spend our money. Whether it’s thinking about picking up the tab at a group lunch or when a charity calls asking for a donation, we are faced with the decision to behave generously or not.

Continue reading

Intuition and Science – Can they agree?

intuition-and-science

By Rowena Kong

In the realm of science, we ask questions to seek answers and in order to obtain answers, we go through the structured, systematic and sometimes considerably lengthy process of research planning, design, experiment implementation, data collection, analysis of results and further thought-generating discussions to arrive at a supported conclusion of our starting hypothesis. Continue reading

Tears and Emotion: A Mystery Unsolved?

Psyched_Tears_Pic

By Rowena Kong

Why do people cry? Sadness does not seem to be the only emotion which stimulates a person to shed tears. We cry when we listen to soothing music and loving words spoken to us. We may even cry when we are extremely overjoyed. In Vingerhoets and Bylsma (2015) review of human emotional crying, the authors listed both the negative and positive antecedents of adult crying and they included defeat, powerlessness, failure, justice and altruism. Continue reading

Explaining the Emotional and Social Costs of East Asians’ Experience of Depression

Psyched_Depression_Pic2

By Rowena Kong

The difference in rates of depression between East Asians and North Americans has long attracted research leading to explanations for such findings. According to a summary study by Weissman et al. (1996) which analyzed the rates of major depressive disorder in different countries based on community surveys, depression’s prevalence rate in Taiwan stood low at 1.5% for every 100 people while that of Korea was a close 2.9%. Continue reading

Hidden Neuroprotective Functions: The Potential Roles of Caffeine and Acetaminophen in Delayed Progression of Parkinson’s Disease

Psyched_NeuroprotectiveBenefits_Pic

By Rowena Kong

Tylenol and caffeine: they are too common in our everyday life and language to be ignored. When physical symptoms call for our action, we reach for the bottle of Tylenol; to satisfy our cravings, we aim for the kitchen coffee-brewer or the nearest cafe. They are effective and have always been so. But are these remedial actions just about all that acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) and caffeine can offer us? Continue reading