Go Global: Studying Psychology Abroad

By Riana Ang-Canning

One of the reasons I love studying psychology is because I find it incredibly applicable to daily life. Things I learn in the classroom pop up on TV, in non-psychology courses and in everyday discussions with friends. I guess when you study the behaviour of people, it’s no surprise that the material finds its way out of the classroom. Continue reading

How environmental regularities help visual search – and to find beer

beerblogpostBy  Yu Luo

How far can you go as an undergraduate research assistant in a psychology lab? Your first thoughts may be giving debriefing, running subjects or entering data. These were exactly what I had had in mind before joining Dr. Jiaying Zhao’s lab. However, I have gained far more experiences than I expected. Continue reading

An undergrad student’s quest for research

posterbannerblogBy Sumeyye Cakal

Remember when you were a first year in undergrad? Maybe you were like me and you’d get butterflies as you thought about what the next 4 years would look like. You may have wondered how you’d make the best of them as you built your course lists and learned how not to get lost on your way to class. But did you ever think that you’d get a chance to do research? To help plan, run, present, and write about your projects? Well I sure didn’t – that is, not until I met Dr. Jiaying Zhao. Continue reading

Counting Seconds & Cents: The Psychological Consequences of Time and Money

Time_moneyblogpost

By Ashley Whillans

My close friends and family always smugly chuckle upon learning that I study the psychology of time and money. I’ll let you in on their amusement. As a graduate student, I am chronically counting my seconds and cents—scrounging time to see friends while managing multiple deadlines, and saving up for my next flight on a slim student stipend. And while I have not yet learned how to stop time or how to grow money on trees, social psychology does offer insight into when time and money may help vs. hinder happiness. Continue reading

Chances for far-out research are improving

798px-International_Space_Station_banner

By Peter Suedfeld

What was the new President of the Canadian Space Agency (CSA), Walter Natynczyk, doing in the Kenny Building on May 14? He and Jean-Marc Chouinard, the CSA’s Head of Policy and Regulatory Affairs, came to meet with Phyllis Johnson (Dept. of Sociology, UBC) and me to discuss how social and behavioural scientists can contribute to Canada’s space program. Continue reading

Spending Money on Others and Personal Happiness

moneyhappinessblogpost

By Ashley Whillans

If you found an unexpected $20 bill in your coat pocket this afternoon, what do you think would be the best way to spend this money to maximize your happiness? Take a minute to think about your response. If you imagined spending this $20 on something for yourself — such as indulging in a foamy cappuccino and lunch at your favourite cafe — you might want to rethink your spending decision. In fact, you may even want to turn to entrepreneur Warren Buffet for expert financial advice. Continue reading

UBC Psychology,

We’re excited to announce the launch of our brand new website! We’ve been redesigning psych.ubc.ca to improve our user experience, content, design and navigation. It’s a new mobile-responsive platform for us to share our stories and to connect with each other.

And we have some new resources available for the department:

UBC Psychology templates
Updated forms
Online Room booking
Events calendar
Participate landing page

The new site is an iterative project and we’ll be continuously working to make it more interactive with richer content. We’ll also be looking at our web analytics along with your feedback to make ongoing improvements to the site.

We hope that you find our new website has a fresh look and is easy to navigate. Please explore the website on your own and send us your feedback via our Website Feedback Form.

We’re always looking for new content. If you have news to share on the website, a study to promote or notice information that needs updating, please contact comm.web@psych.ubc.ca.

We’ll be officially celebrating the launch of our new website in the near future. Stay tuned for more details!

Tara Martin
Director Administration, UBC Psychology

A welcoming word

Welcome to Psi Blog, the Department of Psychology’s community blog. This blog is a platform for exchanging ideas and fostering discussion between us all. And hopefully we’ll have some fun in the process!

This blog allows us to capture and tell the stories of our faculty, students, staff and alumni. It’s a place for the UBC Psychology community to go for insight into our research and teaching activities, our departmental resources, news and updates, and more. Continue reading