The Whaler’s Pole

On National Aboriginal Day we take a moment to celebrate and honour the rich contributions of Indigenous Peoples.

The Whaler’s Pole was designed and carved by the Nuu Chah Nulth artist Art Thompson (1948-2003), with the assistance of Joe David, Duane Pasco, Gene Brabant, and Glen Wood.

Constructed over two years, from 1981-1982, the pole represents the whaling tradition of the Nuh Chah Nulth peoples.

The Whaler's Pole

The Whaler’s Pole

Commissioned by UBC’s Museum of Anthropology, it was raised outside the Douglas T. Kenny Building in 1984. The Kenny Building is located on the traditional, ancestral, unceded territory of the Musqueam people.

Figures from the top to the bottom are the Harpooner, Assistant Whaler, Shaman (with lightening snake tongue representing his power), Puk-Ubs (Whaler returned from drowning), and a grey whale held by Puk-Ubs.

Douglas T. Kenny Building

Douglas T. Kenny Building

Psych 417A: From a visitor to part of a community

Us With the Globe

Students Samantha Montgomery (Left) and Jasmine Roh (Right)

By Jasmine Roh and Samantha Montgomery

WHO, WHAT, WHERE and WHY?

Having to sum up the experience of Psych 417A proves to be a difficult job as our words may not do real justice to how much we’ve actually seen, learned and experienced through the class itself and the 3-month internship. Continue reading

East Asians and Depression

sad malecropped

By Rowena Kong

The difference in rates of depression between East Asians and North Americans has long attracted research which led to many possible explanations for such findings. According to a summary study by Weissman et al. (1996) which analysed the rates of major depressive disorder in different countries based on community surveys,the prevalence rate of Taiwan stood low at 1.5% for every 100 people while that of Korea was a close 2.9%. Continue reading

Psych 417A Blog: Where the journey begins…

By Li (Leigh) Chu

1

Leigh with her placement partner Sarah, and students at the Good Samaritan School for the Deaf

I guess my journey started back in the November of 2014 when I finally signed up for the course “Psychology and Developing Societies” and the International Service Learning (ISL) program. Like many of my peers (or maybe you?), I was quite unsure about my future, especially in terms of how my psychology degree would play a role in my future career. Continue reading

Introducing a new PSYC 417A blog series!

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

By Dr. Sunaina Assanand and Benjamin Cheung

An important goal of education is the application of knowledge to social change. Typically, however, students are presented with limited opportunities to contribute to social change over the course of their education. For the past three years, UBC’s Psychology Department has offered an International Service Learning course that empowers students to act as agents of social change. Continue reading

Tweet Your Knowledge

b8b8e8f0-fa17-0131-e96f-34b52f6f1279

By Benjamin Cheung

Imagine – you’re walking with a friend on the street when, suddenly, a wild spider appears! Your friend, who has arachnophobia, screams at the spider. It wasn’t very effective. The spider stands its ground, staring back at your friend, whose heart rate increases, palms get sweaty, and pupils dilate.

If you weren’t a psychology student, the story might end with either a callous laugh from you, or some empathetic comforting. Continue reading

Want to do something good for your health? Try being generous

By Ashley Whillans, University of British Columbia

Every day, we are confronted with choices about how to spend our money. Whether it’s thinking about picking up the tab at a group lunch or when a charity calls asking for a donation, we are faced with the decision to behave generously or not.

Continue reading