Building international ties to investigate the importance of social relationships and health

By Ellen Stephenson

The Berlin Workshop Group

The Berlin Workshop Group

Faculty and students from the psychology department’s health area recently travelled to Berlin to establish new ties with several research teams there. At the core of the visit was a two-day workshop to explore the importance of social relationships for health outcomes across the adult lifespan.

Hosted at the Free University of Berlin, the workshop was designed to foster training opportunities for graduate students and generate a platform for the development of new collaborative research projects among faculty. It combined project presentations with plenary discussions and individual consultation opportunities, a format that was found to be ideal for generating future ideas and collaborations.

Christiane and Nina

Drs. Christiane Hoppmann and Nina Knoll (l-r)

On the first day, each student was given the opportunity to present his or her work. Each presentation was followed by a question and answer period, which often lead to a lively group discussion. The second day consisted of roundtables related to central themes in Health psychology and the workshop theme of social relationships and health across the adult lifespan. Finally there was time set aside for individual meetings to plan collaborative research projects and potential graduate student exchanges.

This workshop, the first of its kind, has lead to several collaborations, including plans for a Quinn Graduate Students exchange between UBC and FUB. It was made possible through joint funding from UBC (Linkage grant and area funds) and the Free University of Berlin.

This workshop definitely exceeded my expectations. I had hoped to form connections with one or two of the students and faculty from Berlin. Instead, I came away having had the opportunity engage in discussion with all of the workshop participants and feeling as though I had formed important professional relationships with each of them.

In addition to the workshop we also managed to do some site seeing while we were there, including visits to the Berlin Wall Memorial, the Brandenburg gate, Check Point Charlie museum. Given the hot, sunny weather, we also made sure to take advantage of the outdoor beer gardens.

The group is enjoying the beer garden

The group enjoying the beer gardens

Some of the faculty and graduate students who participated in the events and activities share their thoughts and experiences on the workshop:

Dr. Christiane Hoppmann, Associate Professor, Psychology Department, UBC
“The FUB-UBC linkage grant played a pivotal role in building new partnerships by creating a platform for the exchange of ideas that are likely going to lead to new collaborations among faculty while at the same time providing the next generation of health psychology scholars with excellent networking opportunities. The conversations kicked of several follow up projects that are already in the planning stages.”

Dr. Nina Knoll, Professor, Department of Education and Psychology of the Free University of Berlin
“I very much benefitted from our UBC-FUB linkage workshop experience. Rich exchange with PhD students and UBC faculty was a great inspiration. I am looking forward to continued collaboration via PhD-student/postdoc exchanges and cooperation in future projects.”

Dr. Michaela Riediger, Heisenberg Fellow of the German Research Foundation, Department of Education and Psychology of the Free University of Berlin and Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin
“I very much enjoyed the FU – UBC workshop in Berlin. It was very inspiring to learn about the research projects that were presented, and I am deeply impressed by the quality of the young researcher’s work. I had inspiring conversations about potential future collaborations with several people and am very much looking forward to continuing these in the future. In a nutshell: my expectations for this workshop were more than fulfilled, and I am grateful that I was part of it. Many thanks to Christiane, Nina, Anita and everyone else for making this possible.”

Dr. Antje Rauers, Research Associate, Department of Education and Psychology of the Free University of Berlin
“This was a great workshop all around. It combined project presentations with plenary discussions and individual consultation opportunities, a format which I found ideal for generating future ideas and collaborations. The group constellation was also ideal for this purpose: People’s overlap regarding their research interests and the employed methods was sufficient to allow for sophisticated discussions, but there was still enough diversity among us to provide each other with new perspectives and impulses for future research.”

Victoria Michalowski, PhD student, UBC
“The workshop was a valuable and appreciated addition to my training as a graduate student in Health Psychology. It is a rare opportunity to have one-on-one, in-depth contact with an international group of researchers who study social relationships for health outcomes across the lifespan. Such a context made it easy and natural to make connections with other junior as well as senior level researchers, and exchange current perspectives and ideas, while receiving constructive feedback. I left the workshop feeling supported in my research goals and inspired to explore previously unconsidered directions. The workshop provided a collaborative atmosphere beyond what would be possible at a typical conference by providing ample opportunity to share my own research, gaining rich insight into other student and faculty research, and identifying points of future collaboration. Additionally, I was taken aback by how welcoming and pleasant the Berlin group was, and came away from the week feeling incredibly grateful for the experience.”

I asked all of the students about their experience and some common themes emerged. Many students reported that participating in this workshop was a valuable addition to their graduate training and that they planned to incorporate ideas discussed at the workshop into their own work. Several also commented on the impact of being able to connect with leading researchers in health psychology.

About the Author:
Ellen Stephenson is a PhD student in the Department of Psychology at UBC. She completed a BSc in Honours Psychology at McGill University in 2011 and joined the health psychology program at UBC in 2012.  Her research interests and experience have focused on a variety of topics in health psychology ranging from: personality, daily stress, and coping, to physiological and psychological stress reactivity, to psychosocial predictors of preventative health behaviours.

The Whaler’s Pole

On National Aboriginal Day we take a moment to celebrate and honour the rich contributions of Indigenous Peoples.

The Whaler’s Pole was designed and carved by the Nuu Chah Nulth artist Art Thompson (1948-2003), with the assistance of Joe David, Duane Pasco, Gene Brabant, and Glen Wood.

Constructed over two years, from 1981-1982, the pole represents the whaling tradition of the Nuh Chah Nulth peoples. Continue reading

Psych 417A: From a visitor to part of a community

Us With the Globe

Students Samantha Montgomery (Left) and Jasmine Roh (Right)

By Jasmine Roh and Samantha Montgomery

WHO, WHAT, WHERE and WHY?

Having to sum up the experience of Psych 417A proves to be a difficult job as our words may not do real justice to how much we’ve actually seen, learned and experienced through the class itself and the 3-month internship. Continue reading

East Asians and Depression

By Rowena Kong

The difference in rates of depression between East Asians and North Americans has long attracted research which led to many possible explanations for such findings. According to a summary study by Weissman et al. (1996) which analysed the rates of major depressive disorder in different countries based on community surveys,the prevalence rate of Taiwan stood low at 1.5% for every 100 people while that of Korea was a close 2.9%. Continue reading

Psych 417A Blog: Where the journey begins…

By Li (Leigh) Chu

1

Leigh with her placement partner Sarah, and students at the Good Samaritan School for the Deaf

I guess my journey started back in the November of 2014 when I finally signed up for the course “Psychology and Developing Societies” and the International Service Learning (ISL) program. Like many of my peers (or maybe you?), I was quite unsure about my future, especially in terms of how my psychology degree would play a role in my future career. Continue reading

Introducing a new PSYC 417A blog series!

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

Photo credit: Dorcas Lee

By Dr. Sunaina Assanand and Benjamin Cheung

An important goal of education is the application of knowledge to social change. Typically, however, students are presented with limited opportunities to contribute to social change over the course of their education. For the past three years, UBC’s Psychology Department has offered an International Service Learning course that empowers students to act as agents of social change. Continue reading

Tweet Your Knowledge

b8b8e8f0-fa17-0131-e96f-34b52f6f1279

By Benjamin Cheung

Imagine – you’re walking with a friend on the street when, suddenly, a wild spider appears! Your friend, who has arachnophobia, screams at the spider. It wasn’t very effective. The spider stands its ground, staring back at your friend, whose heart rate increases, palms get sweaty, and pupils dilate.

If you weren’t a psychology student, the story might end with either a callous laugh from you, or some empathetic comforting. Continue reading

Want to do something good for your health? Try being generous

By Ashley Whillans, University of British Columbia

Every day, we are confronted with choices about how to spend our money. Whether it’s thinking about picking up the tab at a group lunch or when a charity calls asking for a donation, we are faced with the decision to behave generously or not.

Continue reading