The $5 Challenge!

What would you do if you were given $5, and tasked to make the most money in 2 hours? While this may sound like a game show it isn’t. Rather it was an assignment by Dr. Tina Seelig to her class at Stanford University, as part of the Stanford Technology Ventures Program. She asked her students what would they do to earn money if all they had was five dollars and two hours and asked them to make a presentation to the class on what they did and how much they made. Some teams bought a lottery ticket, others bet it in Las Vegas. However the most profitable team didnt use the $5 at all. Instead they decided to use their most precious resource not the money but the three minute presentation time. They decided to sell it to a company that wanted to recruit the students in the class.

people_tina_seelig_top

Upon reading this blog I asked myself what would I do if I received this challenge? I realized to be successful in this challenge, I would need to go “outside” the assumed parameters of the experiment. Experimenting and trying things out along the way you can learn many things you will never learn from a book or in classroom. This lesson is not only applicable for social experiments like this, but also in my school assignments here at Sauder as well. Through this I have also learnt that I don’t need a million dollars to create a successful business, but I have resources that are much larger and more valuable than money. It would be very interesting to try a similar experiment in Comm 101.

4_x_2002_canadian_paper_money_5_dollar_bill_uncirculated__in_sequence_1_thumb2_lgw