Vote for SSA Exec Team 2019-2020!

Thank you to everyone who submitted nominations to run for the 2019-2020 Sociology Students’ Association Executive Team. Voting commences from March 18th to March 25th. Below are the bios of candidates and the position(s) they are running for.

Only students who are a major or minor in Sociology may vote in the SSA elections. Please submit your vote by filling out the following SSA Election Form!

1. Annette Cho — (Co-President & VP Social)
    1. Hello there! My name is Annette Cho and I am a third year Sociology major just returning from my year abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland. I have been a part of the SSA for the past 2 years of my undergraduate degree starting as a mentee in the Soci Squad and then later joining the team as their AUS Representative. I have always been very passionate about sociology but joining the SSA and working with like-minded individuals to put on events like Mental Health Workshops and Social Activism panels has taught me how much both sociology but also being a part of a community like the SSA means to me. This is why this year I am running to be the co-president along with Alex Chow, or the Vice President Social. Through these roles I hope to help create a stronger community within the sociology department as well as help both students and other execs foster and implement initiatives that they are passionate about.  I want to be able to give back to the sociology community as much as it has given me and inspire interest for the field in others which is why I am running.
  2. Alex Chow — (Co-president & VP Academic)
    1. Hi there! I’m Alex Chow, a third-year Sociology major. My love for Sociology began before university and has only continued to grow as I met passionate and like-minded sociologists in the SSA and the Sociology department. I started as a mentee in my first year and served as the VP Academic in my second year. This past year, I served as your co-president of the SSA. I was fortunate to lead and work with an amazing executive team to bring you events such as Talk Sociology, our annual networking event. I also advocated for and secured a seat for the SSA on the undergraduate committee in the department, giving the student body an additional voice in determining departmental affairs pertaining to us. This year, I hope to continue serving as your co-president of the SSA and will be running for the position with Annette Cho, who has been an incredible teammate and asset to the previous executive team. I have strong confidence in our ability to work with and lead the next generation of sociologists who will no doubt make a positive impact on our department and the world. I plan to continue working on improving faculty-student relationships in the department by working closely with faculty on various social and academic events and opportunities. I also intend to ensure that the SSA continues to cater to the diverse needs of students in the department by offering a wide range of events for students, whether they are looking for a career outside of university, striving for graduate school, or simply seeking a community to call home in UBC.
  3.  Astha Kumar (AUS Rep)
    1. Hello everyone.
      My name is Astha Kumar and I’m in the faculty of Arts (Batch of 2022)  and aspire to declare my major in Sociology complemented with a minor in Law and Society. I’m running for the position of AUS representative for the Sociology Students’ Association.
      My keen interest in the Sociology Student Association stems from my passion to understand, contribute and engage in the betterment of society. More specifically, I’m extremely passionate about engaging in a spirit of embracing difference and celebrating the luminous specificity of our unique backgrounds to create a unique mesh of identities that have the potential to seek greatness.
      Given the opportunity, I would like to do my two- penny bit in effectively communicating, forming strong connections with my peers and being a good team player in brainstorming and implementing fresh ideas between the AUS and SSA to work towards an inclusive, diverse and celebratory community. Two major things that I want to focus on is leadership building skills and youth empowerment programs through workshops and learning sessions to inspire the UBC community.
  4. Jennifer Vincent (VP Social & Logistics Coordinator)
    1. My name is Jennifer Vincent, and I’m a second year student pursuing a double major in Sociology and First Nations and Indigenous Studies. I would like to run for the positions of either Vice-President (Social) or Logistics Coordinator.
      I want to join the SSA because of the support and kindness I have received from many fellow sociology students I have met this year, and I believe that being involved in the SSA would be a good opportunity to pass along the same goodwill I have received onto other students. Additionally, I believe that getting to know fellow sociology students has significantly increased my passion for the subject. I think that as a member of SSA, I would be incredibly motivated to increase interconnectedness with the goal of increasing students’ passion for the field.
      I would be a good candidate for either of the above roles given my extensive experience in managing people, organizing events, and working in group settings. Since coming to UBC, I have been incredibly involved with TSC Sailing, a student-run sports team that competes throughout Canada and the U.S., having served as the Athlete Council Representative and Fundraising Officer in my first year, and this year as the Marketing and Communications Officer. Additionally, this year I served as Vice President for the Northwest Intercollegiate Sailing Association, the district in which our team competes.
  5. June Lam (Media Specialist)
    1. Hello there! My name is June Lam and I am currently a second-year student planning to double major in Sociology and Political Science. I would love to be in a position where I get to work with like-minded peers to foster a sense of community and build meaningful relationships within the department. In connection with what I can bring to the SSA, my background includes digital marketing, communications, graphic design, and photography experience. I have also led marketing campaigns, developed social media plans, and designed websites for multiple school clubs and non-profit organizations across the Lower Mainland. By joining the SSA, I hope to offer my skills to the team and bring an eye-catching new look to the SSA’s presence.
  6. Mark Ding — ( Co-President & VP Academic)
    1. My name is Mark, my major is in Sociology, and I am going into my final year.
      I want to Join the SSA because Sociology has been an important part of my life in the past three years, and I want to be more involved with the department and my peers. The positions I am most interested in are the VP Academics, and Co – President. I have experience running a start-up company, working with professors as research assistants and teaching assistants. For the Role of VP Academics, I believe my experience of applying to graduate school and working with various professors at UBC will help students who are considering to go into academia. For the role of Co- President, I believe working for the SSA as VP External for the past year has given me a good understanding of how the association works. My experience with working in a public relations company and running a startup business has given me the necessary skills to interact with different agencies and peers in a professional way. One of my jobs as a co-founder of the business was to coordinate between my two other co-founders, they grew up in different parts of the world and have different values. I enjoy working with others, even if they may be from different backgrounds and there is conflict.
  7. Morgan McCulloch — (VP Social & Treasurer)
    1. My name is Morgan McCulloch and I’m a third year Sociology student (declaring end of semester) planning to minor in Economics. I’m looking to be a part of the SSA team as VP Social because I’ve seen first hand the great things that it has accomplished and what it provides for the students of the sociology department as well as UBC. Being a part of the mentor/mentee program was an amazing experience for myself and I met so many wonderful people that helped create a better UBC for me. I believe the SSA creates a welcome space and I want to be a part of that and help support my fellow Sociology majors through their degree. I offer the SSA my passion for the Sociology which will show itself in the hard work I will put in. I would love to continue to build the mentor/mentee program and help students navigate through Sociology. Having social mixers that combine a fun event with the opportunity for Sociology students to get to know their mentors and to learn about Sociology is my goal. Given the opportunity I would pour my love for Sociology into my position.
    2. My name is Morgan McCulloch and I am a 3rd year Sociology student (declaring end of semester) planning to do a minor in Economics. I would like to be considered for the position of Treasurer for the SSA as I believe I would be able to help keep their finances organized and proper. I have developed my personal finance schools over the years and been quite successful. I’m looking to expand my skills and would love to be helping one of my favourite organizations at UBC. The SSA has been one of the best organizations at UBC for myself. It helped me understand and learn so much about what Sociology is and what I can do with a Sociology degree. I want to be able to continue this for other students who who like guidance like I did. I offer the SSA my meticulous care for finance and my love for Sociology. Most importantly I offer my positive and assiduous attitude.
  8. Shirin Zohrabi — (Tresurer & Secretary)
    1. Hello! I am Shirin Zohrabi, a second – year student, majoring in sociology with a minor in law and society. I would like to join the SSA because it would enable me to expand my degree from outside the classroom, and connect with like-minded individuals in an environment where we can freely express our ideas and help plan events in hopes of strengthening the relationships between each other, all sociology undergraduates and the department itself. In terms of what I can bring to the SSA, my position as a floor manager at a retail sales store has given me extensive experience with appropriately handling large sums of money. This job has also heightened my organizational, and multi-tasking skills as I have had to learn how to effectively manage a busy workplace environment. Furthermore, I have past experience with organizing fundraisers for non-profit organizations, which has helped me in improving my leadership skills and figuring how to budget and control funds in the most efficient and beneficial way. I believe I am a well-qualified candidate for the treasurer or secretary position and hope to be voted into the SSA as I would like to positively contribute to the sociology program here at UBC
  9. Zoë Tomaskova-Redfield — (VP Social & VP External)
    1. Having served on the Sociology Student’s Association for the 2017/2018 school year, I have a year’s worth of experience serving the undergraduate sociology community. I previously helped organize sales and advertising for merchandise, and highly enjoyed helping out at all the events held during the 2017/18 year. I previously served as co-chair for the ANSO gala in 2018, working with the anthropology student’s association to organize the end of the year event. I would bring experience and fresh ideas to the role of VP Social or VP External, and would serve the undergraduate community with enthusiasm. Not only do I have experience with SSA in years past, but I will bring energy, enthusiasm, and great ideas to the 2019/20 SSA next year!

2019 Hiring!

2019-290 SSA Elections

Being a part of the SSA is a worthwhile, enjoyable, and fun experience. It gives you an opportunity to learn more about the department, work closely with other Sociology students, and develop events/projects/etc. that interest you and will inspire a strong Sociology Department. To learn more about the SSA and our vision, please click here.

Timeline for elections:

• March 1st  – March 15th: Applications open, candidates submit

• March 16th – March 20st: Voting

• March 21st: Results Announced!

To apply for any of the below positions, please email us at ubcsociologyassoc@gmail.com by March 15th at 11:59pm with a paragraph that includes the following (100-200 words). Please be aware that what you send us in the email is what we will use as your candidacy promo during voting!

• Your name (required)
  • Major/Minor specialization (required)
  • Year (required)
  • Why you want to join the SSA (suggested)
  • What you will bring to SSA in this role (i.e. skills, ideas) (suggested)

Guidelines:

1. All executives MUST be available for at least 3 hours every week for meetings, promoting events, and other duties more specific to their position.  In reality, there will be some weeks where time devoted to the SSA will be more or less than this. While the team will work together and support each other throughout the year, each executive must be independently committed and dependable.
  2. You must have declared or be expecting to declare a major or minor in Sociology in order to run for any executive position.
  3. Only 3rd and 4th year students are eligible to run for co-presidency positions.
  4. Nominees are able to run for 2 positions maximum. When applying, you will be asked for your preferred position between the two, and in the event that you are successfully accepted to both you will be given the preferred position. *Note: Associate editor excluded.
  5. You may not apply if you are doing Co-Op or Exchange for 1 term during the 2018-19 year

2018-2019 SSA Positions

* Note: All executives will be responsible for attending bi-weekly meetings, answering emails, and assisting with SSA events and projects.

Co Presidents (2)

The role of the Co-Presidents is integral in ensuring smooth operations within the SSA. As the leaders of the SSA, overall organization and visioning is needed to operate the club. The main responsibility of the Co-Presidents is to oversee the club’s functions by supporting all members of the team and maintaining communication within the department. As Co-President, you will be exposed to different levels of the Sociology Department. You will enrich your leadership skills through managing your team, while also developing unique set of skills such as interpersonal, communication, and problem solving.

For a full position description, please click here.

Vice-President: Academic

The Vice-President: Academic is a project-based role that’s responsible for overseeing the academic support services the SSA will hold throughout the year, with the assistance of the Co-Presidents. The VP Academic must be passionate and willing to learn about the opportunities available in the Sociology Department to fully support undergraduate students. In addition, the VP Academic will coordinate with an external organization (Artona) in September. As VP Academic, you will be able to apply your leadership skills and learn skills such as organization and action planning.

Vice-President: Social

The Vice President: Social is a project-based role that is responsible for the assistance of the Co-Presidents. The VP Social will coordinate mentors and mentees and hold service events for sociology students. In addition, the VP Social will coordinate with an external organization in September to coordinate T-shirt sales. VP Social is perfect for a charismatic individual. You will be able to interact with various students and apply your coordination and leadership skills, while also developing action planning skills.

Vice-President: External

The Vice-President External is responsible for building relationships with individuals, organizations, and businesses outside of the SSA and the Sociology department. Some tasks include: creating a portfolio, attaining sponsorships for events, pursuing opportunities to make new connections, create partnerships, and coordinate events with external organizations and/or clubs at UBC.

Treasurer

The Treasurer is primarily responsible for managing the club finances and grants. He/she will work closely with the AMS to coordinate finances, reimbursements, and budgets. The role is a great fit for someone with an interest with finances, or a willingness to learn. You will learn useful skills in budgeting, administration, and communication with the AMS.

Secretary

The Secretary is responsible for keeping SSA files accountable and organized. The main responsibility is taking minutes at each of the meetings and sending them out to the team. However, the Secretary is also responsible for maintaining and understanding the club constitution and SSA memberships. The secretary will learn and practice how to translate spoken to written communication, and become familiar with the best practices of an organization.

Media Specialist: Communications

The Communications Media Specialist will work closely with the Graphics Media Specialist. The Communications position will focus more on writing, such as coordinating bi-weekly short blog posts onto the SSA blog and sending out Facebook and mailing list posts around events and activities. This position is perfect for someone who enjoys writing and communicating, and learning how to promote events using social media.

Media Specialist: Graphics

The Graphics Media Specialist will work closely with the Communications Media Specialist. The Graphics position will be responsible for taking photos at events, keeping up weekly Instagram posts, and designing posters for each event that SSA organizes. If you love graphic design or have an interest in visuals, this is the position for you. You’ll get to design the visual aspect of the SSA for the year, and make each graphic eye-catching and unique.

Logistics Coordinator

The Logistics Coordinator is responsible for organizing the materials and space needed for certain events the SSA holds. Some tasks include: booking space, coordinating food, organizing set-up and clean-up and printing posters. You will be able to develop your organizational and time management skills through coordinating the preparations needed for each event, and develop relationships within the department.

Sustainability Representative

The Sustainability Representative is responsible for ensuring all SSA events meet AMS’ requirements for sustainable events. Some tasks include: building connections with UBC Sustainability Consultants to help plan and execute events that encompasses economic, social and environmental sustainability, organize and promote one sustainability specific event.

AUS Representative

The AUS Representative is responsible for being the face of the SSA to the Arts Undergraduate Society. In addition to attending the bi-weekly AUS meetings, the representative will need to run for one AUS committee and maintain communication between the SSA and AUS. As AUS Rep, you will gain connections to the AUS and to other departments while learning communication and collaboration skills.

We’re Hiring!

Being a part of the SSA is an incredibly enriching experience. It gives you an opportunity to learn more about the department, work closely with other Sociology students, and develop events/projects/etc. that interest you and will inspire a strong Sociology Department. To learn more about the SSA and our vision, please click here.

We are currently hiring candidates to join our executive team for the 2018-2019 academic year! (Scroll down to view the list of positions available, along with descriptions for each position)

Guidelines:

To apply for any of the positions below, please email us at ubcsociologyassoc@gmail.com by July 10th at 11:59pm with your resume, and include the following information:

• Your name (required)
  • Major/Minor specialization (required)
  • Year (required)

Please also answer the following questions:

1. Why do you want to join the SSA?
  2. Which position(s) are you applying for and what will you bring to the role(s)?
  3. What are your involvements (extracurriculars, work, etc) for the incoming school year?

Requirements:

1. All executives MUST be available for at least 3 hours every week for meetings, promoting events, and other duties more specific to their position.  In reality, there will be some weeks where time devoted to the SSA will be more or less than this. While the team will work together and support each other throughout the year, each executive must be independently committed and dependable.
  2. You must have declared or be expecting to declare a major or minor in Sociology in order to apply for any executive position.
  3. Nominees are able to run for 2 positions maximum. When applying, you will be asked for your preferred position between the two.
  4. You may not apply if you are doing Co-Op or Exchange for during the 2017-18 year

2018-2019 SSA Positions

VP External

AUS Representative

Logistics Coordinator

Sustainability Representative

Vote for SSA Exec Team 2018-19!

Thank you to everyone who submitted nominations to run for the 2018-19 Sociology Students’ Association Executive Team. Voting commences from March 17th to March 21st. Below are the bios of candidates and the position(s) they are running for.

Only students who are a major or minor in Sociology may vote in the SSA elections. Please submit your vote by filling out the following SSA Elections Form.

Kacey Ng – Co-President
Kacey Ng is a fourth year undergraduate student working to complete her Honours in Sociology while simultaneously double minoring in Urban Studies and Asian-Canadian Asian Migration Studies.  This will be her third year engaging with the SSA; but it will be the first year she will be running as co-president.  While she previously held the role of Secretary, she will be using her aggregated experience and knowledge to support students and execs alike for the upcoming year. This past year, the SSA has seen a great amount of success in the creation of events that promote student growth and we are excited to use that same framework to empower our students and execs to continue to foster initiative and insight. Kacey is running alongside Alex (Wei Jie) Chow, whom she fully endorses for the role of co-presidency.

Alex Chow – Co-President or VP Academic
Hi there! I’m Alex Chow, a second-year Sociology major and your current VP Academic. My love for Sociology began before university and continued to grow as I met passionate and like-minded sociologists in the SSA and the Sociology department. My passion for the discipline and the department led me to joining the team this past year, where I have been fortunate to work with a wonderful team to bring you events such as the Faculty and Alumni panel and the recent Social Activism panel. I was also responsible for bringing student feedback to the department through initiatives such as the Course Registration Experience Survey, as well as connecting students with opportunities in the department. The latter goal led us to creating the Sociology Undergraduate Research Application Process to connect students interested in academia with research job opportunities in the department. This year, I am running to be your co-president of the SSA. I aim to foster a stronger community within the department through social and academic events, as well as increased opportunities for faculty-student interactions. I also intend to ensure that the SSA continues to cater to the diverse group of students in the department by offering a wide range of events for students, whether they are looking for a career outside of university, striving for graduate school, or simply seeking a community to call home in UBC.

Anna Tørnros – VP Social or VP Academic
Hi! My name is Anna Tørnros and I’m a 2nd year sociology major, also thinking of minoring in urban studies. I want to join the SSA because I want to become a part of and foster a good community within the sociology department. I want to give back to a field which has given so much to me, and inspire interest for sociology in others! I will bring an undying love for sociology, dedication, and a sociable personality! This past year I have been the VP Logistics for the UBC Business Communications club and the Marketing Coordinator for the UBC Fashion Club, which means I will be able to draw on my past experience with social events, planning, and practiced resourcefulness to ensure that I can make a positive contribution to the SSA!

Emily Lam – VP Social or Media Specialist: Communications
My name is Emily Lam and I am currently in my third year and have Sociology and Linguistics listed as my majors. I want to join the SSA as the VP: Social and the Media Specialist: Communications to continue the cultivation efforts of all sociology students in bringing to UBC. I believe that Sociology has an immense role in bringing change to our campus and to our world. I believe that even as undergraduates, experience with ‘reality’ may be limited, undergraduates bring a new, fresh vision and joining SSA will allow me to help promote this vision. By joining SSA, I hope that I can bring my expertise in event planning and blogging to support the other talents of the team. Power is support is in numbers and my personal principle of keeping an open communication with everyone is essential to uniting all Sociology students on campus together. I believe that Sociology has an immense role in bringing change to our campus and to our world. I believe that even as undergraduates, experience with ‘reality’ may be limited, undergraduates bring a new, fresh vision and joining SSA will allow me to help promote this vision.

Benedetta Franzini – VP Social
My name is Benedetta Franzini and I am a third-year student majoring in Sociology and minoring in International Relations. I would be thrilled to work with the SSA team as a VP Social. I have been an exec for other two clubs here at UBC, so I know how to work in a team and with the AMS, in term of events planning and organizing and all related activities. Currently I am part of the Sociology Peer Advising team and I am looking forward to becoming more involved in the Sociology department. I am charismatic, organized, pragmatic and creative and always eager to learn. For all these reasons, I strongly believe that my peculiarities together with my experiences would be of great benefit to your team.

Jasmeen Khaira – Media Specialist: Communications
I am writing to you to express my joy in applying to become a part of your team. I am aware of the countless applicants that apply for this position, yet I can assure you I am diversely qualified and more distinctive than most. My name is Jasmeen Khaira and I am currently in my 3rd year of my dual degree program (BA+MM). I am currently completing a Masters in Management and Bachelors in sociology with a minor in Asian studies. Alongside, my education I also have three years of customer service experience with heritage services and 4 years of experience working in child minding programs and program planning. I am a proven leader with strong ability to adapt to circumstances and communication skills developed through executive positions held in student organizations and past job placements. Over the course of my degree, I have not had to opportunity to engage with the sociology aspect of degree, and I hope this experience will aid me into understanding and becoming part of UBC sociology community. I believe the SSA can benefit from some outreach programs, in which volunteers go to certain nonprofits and have a collaboration of efforts and knowledge to help out a certain aspect of society. As the Media Specialist (Communications) I would love to develop an interactive and engaging platform for the SSA to develop their image.

Kate Collins – Media Specialist: Communications
As someone who is passionate about sociology and leadership, I would love to be in a position that brings me closer to people that share similar interests. I’d love to be surrounded by those who are also motivated to bring people in our major together to interact and cultivate meaningful connections. Working for multiple companies including app start ups and retail stores, as Lead Photographer, Social Media Team Lead, or Product Educator I have developed a deep understanding of social media, audience/follower interaction, and releasing and promoting original content. I believe that my outgoing and sociable personality partnered with my desire to be more involved in my major will make me a great asset to the SSA Executive Team. 

Priscilla Wong – Treasurer
Hi, my name is Priscilla and I am a third year Sociology major minoring in Health and Society. As the treasurer for the SSA in the 2017/18 school year, I have gained a lot of professional skills dealing with all the finances while being involved in the Sociology community at UBC. The SSA has also provided me with the opportunity to develop personally through all the social interactions that took place when we were planning for events to build, connect, and empower the sociology department. I would like to run for the treasurer position for the 2018/19 school year to create a positive impact on the Sociology community while fostering stronger communication skills. As a Sociology student at UBC, I would like to stay involved and contribute to the department with the knowledge and skills I have aquired. I believe that my experience as treasure and diligent work ethic makes me a a suitable candidate for this position. 🙂

Daniella Pettenon – Secretary or Treasurer
Over the past year, I have been fortunate to have been able to TA within the sociology department at UBC. Through this experience I have gained many connections with faculty and staff as well as deepen my understanding of the discipline. In addition, being a TA for direct-entry and Vantage students has allowed me to practice and further develop skills in time management, communication, organization, public speaking, and interpersonal skills. Another noteworthy experience has been my role as the Human Resources Manager for Enactus UBC, a non-profit organization of social entrepreneurs who use business and leadership to address the 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development. This position consisted of many responsibilities such as hiring, dealing with club obstacles and conflict, developing and designing contracts and legal documents, budgeting, applying for grants, planning and facilitating social events, workshops, and meetings, as well as empowering individuals of all faculties. I believe these HR duties are very transferable to the roles of Secretary and Treasurer. With the combination of these two experiences, I am confident that I can go beyond the expectations of the positions I have applied for and that I will make a positive impact in the sociology community.

Michelle Liao – Secretary
My name is Michelle Liao and I am running for the position of Secretary for UBC’s Sociology Students’ Association. I am in second year and will be declaring Sociology as my major in September 2018. By becoming an executive member of the UBC Sociology Students’ Association, I wish to expand my sociological imagination, connect with others who are equally as passionate about sociology, and build a community that encourages one another to reach new goals. I am the ideal candidate for this position because I am a reliable team player who holds excellent listening and organizational skills. I excel in these areas through my work as a food and beverage server for over six years, and my volunteer role  at a long-term care facility. As an AUS Wellness Coordinator in 2015,  I hosted an event for students to destress by playing with puppies! I am confident that my outgoing, easygoing and go-getting personality will be an asset for SSA. Thank you for your consideration in my application.

2018-19 SSA Elections

Timeline for elections:

• March 2nd  – March 16th: Applications open, candidates submit

• March 17th – March 21st: Voting

• March 22nd: Results Announced!

To apply for any of the below positions, please email us at ubcsociologyassoc@gmail.com by March 16th at 11:59pm with a paragraph that includes the following (100-200 words). Please be aware that what you send us in the email is what we will use as your candidacy promo during voting!

• Your name (required)
  • Major/Minor specialization (required)
  • Year (required)

Guidelines:

2016-2017 SSA Positions

Co Presidents (2)

Vice-President: Academic

Vice-President: Social

Vice-President: External

Treasurer

Secretary

Media Specialist: Communications

Media Specialist: Graphics

Logistics Coordinator

Sustainability Representative

AUS Representative

RESULTS: Research Grant Recipients!

Earlier this week, the SSA executives met and chose the recipients to divide our $600 total Research Grant amongst! It was a difficult decision to make, so thank you to the wonderful sociologists that applied.

Here are this year’s winners!

Andy Holmes to support research towards an Honours thesis, “Competing Perceptions of Safety inPride Parades”, which will explore the intersections between the diverse social movements, including the anti-racist Black Lives Matter movement and the LGBT2Q+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, two-spirit) movement.

Tina Chenyang Jiang to help present research on place identity during rapid social change, titled “Practice of Transnational Mobilities: WhiteSpot Family Restaurant in Vancouver as a Case Study”, at Transforming Urbanity: People and Cities on the Move, a 4-day international conference in Malaysia.

Anangons Johnson-Owl to help conduct interviews for a research project in the course Sociology 382: Qualitative Methods, with the project topic focusing on exploring themes of hardship and resilience in the university setting as they are understood by Indigenous and Indigenous-focused professors at UBC.

Kacey Ng to support the presentation of a research paper examining the current and significant challenges of degradation faced by Vancouver’s Chinatown, which will take place at this year’s annual Canadian Sociological Association conference in Toronto.

Siqi Xiao to support participation in this year’s Urban Ethnographic Field School.

Congratulations, Andy, Tina, Anangons, Kacey and Siqi! Best of luck in your sociological endeavours!

Research Opp!

Media content analysis for BC Women’s Sexual Assault Service (SAS) – 1 student

SAS is looking for 1 student to  assist with the data collection required for a systematic media content analysis of current (mainstream) discourse around  sexual assault.   The outline and plan for the data collection will be drafted in consultation with study investigator(s) (and student’s supervisor if there is one). The use of the data for publication is also an option, and can be discussed with the study investigator(s).  Compensation is $15/hour for up to 67 hours over a three month period (2017).

BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre (BCWH) is the provincial resource for all aspects of women’s health. BCWH is dedicated to providing one-of-a-kind care to meet women’s specialized health needs, from maternity, birthing and clinical care over the life span to service delivery and provincial outreach activities. BC Women’s has a reputation as an academic health sciences centre, is affiliated with the University of British Columbia (UBC) through the Women’s Health Research Institute (WHRI), and is a frequent collaborator with Simon Fraser University (SFU).

Survivor responses to sexual assault are affected by many factors and their experience may be shaped by how they perceive, and are perceived, by those around them. Public perceptions of sexual assault are mired in misconceptions and victim-blaming. Lack of knowledge and awareness makes public perception of sexual assault highly vulnerable to influence by persons in positions of power (policy makers, legal professionals, educators, health professionals etc.) which in turn may effect survivors decision to disclose. Choosing not to disclose sexual assault may have harmful and lead to lasting health and social consequences for survivors, their families, and communities.   SAS seeks to better understand public perception of sexual assault and who has influence, attention needs to be given to media and power holders, with a content analysis conducted of mainstream print, radio, television, and social media.

Contact Info:

Aimee Nygaard

Phone: (604) 875-2478

Email: aimee.nygaard@bcwomensfoundation.org

Application:

Please send current CV and cover letter detailing experience(s) with media content analysis/data collection and understanding of this form of analysis, as well as any other relevant experience (max 500 words).

Deadline:

April 7, 2017

Term 2 Annual General Meeting!

It’s that time of the semester again…we’re pleased to announce the launch of the SSA’s term 2 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING!

Join us on Tuesday, January 24th from 2pm-3:30 pm in the Nest Room 2306/9 to:

-catch up and chat with other SSA-er’s
-make new friends
-get to know the executives
-find out about how you can be involved in the SSA this term
-play games and have fun!

As per usual, food and drinks will be provided by us!

This is a great opportunity to interact with peers that share your interests, and build a network that makes your time at UBC Sociology that much better.

We’re so excited to see you!