Vote for SSA Exec Team 2018-19!

Thank you to everyone who submitted nominations to run for the 2018-19 Sociology Students’ Association Executive Team. Voting commences from March 17th to March 21st. Below are the bios of candidates and the position(s) they are running for.

Only students who are a major or minor in Sociology may vote in the SSA elections. Please submit your vote by filling out the following SSA Elections Form.

Kacey Ng – Co-President
Kacey Ng is a fourth year undergraduate student working to complete her Honours in Sociology while simultaneously double minoring in Urban Studies and Asian-Canadian Asian Migration Studies.  This will be her third year engaging with the SSA; but it will be the first year she will be running as co-president.  While she previously held the role of Secretary, she will be using her aggregated experience and knowledge to support students and execs alike for the upcoming year. This past year, the SSA has seen a great amount of success in the creation of events that promote student growth and we are excited to use that same framework to empower our students and execs to continue to foster initiative and insight. Kacey is running alongside Alex (Wei Jie) Chow, whom she fully endorses for the role of co-presidency.

Alex Chow – Co-President or VP Academic
Hi there! I’m Alex Chow, a second-year Sociology major and your current VP Academic. My love for Sociology began before university and continued to grow as I met passionate and like-minded sociologists in the SSA and the Sociology department. My passion for the discipline and the department led me to joining the team this past year, where I have been fortunate to work with a wonderful team to bring you events such as the Faculty and Alumni panel and the recent Social Activism panel. I was also responsible for bringing student feedback to the department through initiatives such as the Course Registration Experience Survey, as well as connecting students with opportunities in the department. The latter goal led us to creating the Sociology Undergraduate Research Application Process to connect students interested in academia with research job opportunities in the department. This year, I am running to be your co-president of the SSA. I aim to foster a stronger community within the department through social and academic events, as well as increased opportunities for faculty-student interactions. I also intend to ensure that the SSA continues to cater to the diverse group of students in the department by offering a wide range of events for students, whether they are looking for a career outside of university, striving for graduate school, or simply seeking a community to call home in UBC.

Anna Tørnros – VP Social or VP Academic
Hi! My name is Anna Tørnros and I’m a 2nd year sociology major, also thinking of minoring in urban studies. I want to join the SSA because I want to become a part of and foster a good community within the sociology department. I want to give back to a field which has given so much to me, and inspire interest for sociology in others! I will bring an undying love for sociology, dedication, and a sociable personality! This past year I have been the VP Logistics for the UBC Business Communications club and the Marketing Coordinator for the UBC Fashion Club, which means I will be able to draw on my past experience with social events, planning, and practiced resourcefulness to ensure that I can make a positive contribution to the SSA!

Emily Lam – VP Social or Media Specialist: Communications
My name is Emily Lam and I am currently in my third year and have Sociology and Linguistics listed as my majors. I want to join the SSA as the VP: Social and the Media Specialist: Communications to continue the cultivation efforts of all sociology students in bringing to UBC. I believe that Sociology has an immense role in bringing change to our campus and to our world. I believe that even as undergraduates, experience with ‘reality’ may be limited, undergraduates bring a new, fresh vision and joining SSA will allow me to help promote this vision. By joining SSA, I hope that I can bring my expertise in event planning and blogging to support the other talents of the team. Power is support is in numbers and my personal principle of keeping an open communication with everyone is essential to uniting all Sociology students on campus together. I believe that Sociology has an immense role in bringing change to our campus and to our world. I believe that even as undergraduates, experience with ‘reality’ may be limited, undergraduates bring a new, fresh vision and joining SSA will allow me to help promote this vision.

Benedetta Franzini – VP Social
My name is Benedetta Franzini and I am a third-year student majoring in Sociology and minoring in International Relations. I would be thrilled to work with the SSA team as a VP Social. I have been an exec for other two clubs here at UBC, so I know how to work in a team and with the AMS, in term of events planning and organizing and all related activities. Currently I am part of the Sociology Peer Advising team and I am looking forward to becoming more involved in the Sociology department. I am charismatic, organized, pragmatic and creative and always eager to learn. For all these reasons, I strongly believe that my peculiarities together with my experiences would be of great benefit to your team.

Jasmeen Khaira – Media Specialist: Communications
I am writing to you to express my joy in applying to become a part of your team. I am aware of the countless applicants that apply for this position, yet I can assure you I am diversely qualified and more distinctive than most. My name is Jasmeen Khaira and I am currently in my 3rd year of my dual degree program (BA+MM). I am currently completing a Masters in Management and Bachelors in sociology with a minor in Asian studies. Alongside, my education I also have three years of customer service experience with heritage services and 4 years of experience working in child minding programs and program planning. I am a proven leader with strong ability to adapt to circumstances and communication skills developed through executive positions held in student organizations and past job placements. Over the course of my degree, I have not had to opportunity to engage with the sociology aspect of degree, and I hope this experience will aid me into understanding and becoming part of UBC sociology community. I believe the SSA can benefit from some outreach programs, in which volunteers go to certain nonprofits and have a collaboration of efforts and knowledge to help out a certain aspect of society. As the Media Specialist (Communications) I would love to develop an interactive and engaging platform for the SSA to develop their image.

Kate Collins – Media Specialist: Communications
As someone who is passionate about sociology and leadership, I would love to be in a position that brings me closer to people that share similar interests. I’d love to be surrounded by those who are also motivated to bring people in our major together to interact and cultivate meaningful connections. Working for multiple companies including app start ups and retail stores, as Lead Photographer, Social Media Team Lead, or Product Educator I have developed a deep understanding of social media, audience/follower interaction, and releasing and promoting original content. I believe that my outgoing and sociable personality partnered with my desire to be more involved in my major will make me a great asset to the SSA Executive Team. 

Priscilla Wong – Treasurer
Hi, my name is Priscilla and I am a third year Sociology major minoring in Health and Society. As the treasurer for the SSA in the 2017/18 school year, I have gained a lot of professional skills dealing with all the finances while being involved in the Sociology community at UBC. The SSA has also provided me with the opportunity to develop personally through all the social interactions that took place when we were planning for events to build, connect, and empower the sociology department. I would like to run for the treasurer position for the 2018/19 school year to create a positive impact on the Sociology community while fostering stronger communication skills. As a Sociology student at UBC, I would like to stay involved and contribute to the department with the knowledge and skills I have aquired. I believe that my experience as treasure and diligent work ethic makes me a a suitable candidate for this position. 🙂

Daniella Pettenon – Secretary or Treasurer
Over the past year, I have been fortunate to have been able to TA within the sociology department at UBC. Through this experience I have gained many connections with faculty and staff as well as deepen my understanding of the discipline. In addition, being a TA for direct-entry and Vantage students has allowed me to practice and further develop skills in time management, communication, organization, public speaking, and interpersonal skills. Another noteworthy experience has been my role as the Human Resources Manager for Enactus UBC, a non-profit organization of social entrepreneurs who use business and leadership to address the 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development. This position consisted of many responsibilities such as hiring, dealing with club obstacles and conflict, developing and designing contracts and legal documents, budgeting, applying for grants, planning and facilitating social events, workshops, and meetings, as well as empowering individuals of all faculties. I believe these HR duties are very transferable to the roles of Secretary and Treasurer. With the combination of these two experiences, I am confident that I can go beyond the expectations of the positions I have applied for and that I will make a positive impact in the sociology community.

Michelle Liao – Secretary
My name is Michelle Liao and I am running for the position of Secretary for UBC’s Sociology Students’ Association. I am in second year and will be declaring Sociology as my major in September 2018. By becoming an executive member of the UBC Sociology Students’ Association, I wish to expand my sociological imagination, connect with others who are equally as passionate about sociology, and build a community that encourages one another to reach new goals. I am the ideal candidate for this position because I am a reliable team player who holds excellent listening and organizational skills. I excel in these areas through my work as a food and beverage server for over six years, and my volunteer role  at a long-term care facility. As an AUS Wellness Coordinator in 2015,  I hosted an event for students to destress by playing with puppies! I am confident that my outgoing, easygoing and go-getting personality will be an asset for SSA. Thank you for your consideration in my application.

2018-19 SSA Elections

Being a part of the SSA is a worthwhile, enjoyable, and fun experience. It gives you an opportunity to learn more about the department, work closely with other Sociology students, and develop events/projects/etc. that interest you and will inspire a strong Sociology Department. To learn more about the SSA and our vision, please click here.

Timeline for elections:

• March 2nd  – March 16th: Applications open, candidates submit

• March 17th – March 21st: Voting

• March 22nd: Results Announced!

To apply for any of the below positions, please email us at by March 16th at 11:59pm with a paragraph that includes the following (100-200 words). Please be aware that what you send us in the email is what we will use as your candidacy promo during voting!

• Your name (required)
  • Major/Minor specialization (required)
  • Year (required)
  • Why you want to join the SSA (suggested)
  • What you will bring to SSA in this role (i.e. skills, ideas) (suggested)

1. All executives MUST be available for at least 3 hours every week for meetings, promoting events, and other duties more specific to their position.  In reality, there will be some weeks where time devoted to the SSA will be more or less than this. While the team will work together and support each other throughout the year, each executive must be independently committed and dependable.
  2. You must have declared or be expecting to declare a major or minor in Sociology in order to run for any executive position.
  3. Only 3rd and 4th year students are eligible to run for co-presidency positions.
  4. Nominees are able to run for 2 positions maximum. When applying, you will be asked for your preferred position between the two, and in the event that you are successfully accepted to both you will be given the preferred position. *Note: Associate editor excluded.
  5. You may not apply if you are doing Co-Op or Exchange for 1 term during the 2018-19 year

2016-2017 SSA Positions

* Note: All executives will be responsible for attending bi-weekly meetings, answering emails, and assisting with SSA events and projects.

Co Presidents (2)

The role of the Co-Presidents is integral in ensuring smooth operations within the SSA. As the leaders of the SSA, overall organization and visioning is needed to operate the club. The main responsibility of the Co-Presidents is to oversee the club’s functions by supporting all members of the team and maintaining communication within the department. As Co-President, you will be exposed to different levels of the Sociology Department. You will enrich your leadership skills through managing your team, while also developing unique set of skills such as interpersonal, communication, and problem solving.

For a full position description, please click here.

Vice-President: Academic

The Vice-President: Academic is a project-based role that’s responsible for overseeing the academic support services the SSA will hold throughout the year, with the assistance of the Co-Presidents. The VP Academic must be passionate and willing to learn about the opportunities available in the Sociology Department to fully support undergraduate students. In addition, the VP Academic will coordinate with an external organization (Artona) in September. As VP Academic, you will be able to apply your leadership skills and learn skills such as organization and action planning.

Vice-President: Social

The Vice President: Social is a project-based role that is responsible for the assistance of the Co-Presidents. The VP Social will coordinate mentors and mentees and hold service events for sociology students. In addition, the VP Social will coordinate with an external organization in September to coordinate T-shirt sales. VP Social is perfect for a charismatic individual. You will be able to interact with various students and apply your coordination and leadership skills, while also developing action planning skills.

Vice-President: External

The Vice-President External is responsible for building relationships with individuals, organizations, and businesses outside of the SSA and the Sociology department. Some tasks include: creating a portfolio, attaining sponsorships for events, pursuing opportunities to make new connections, create partnerships, and coordinate events with external organizations and/or clubs at UBC.

The Treasurer is primarily responsible for managing the club finances and grants. He/she will work closely with the AMS to coordinate finances, reimbursements, and budgets. The role is a great fit for someone with an interest with finances, or a willingness to learn. You will learn useful skills in budgeting, administration, and communication with the AMS.

The Secretary is responsible for keeping SSA files accountable and organized. The main responsibility is taking minutes at each of the meetings and sending them out to the team. However, the Secretary is also responsible for maintaining and understanding the club constitution and SSA memberships. The secretary will learn and practice how to translate spoken to written communication, and become familiar with the best practices of an organization.

Media Specialist: Communications

The Communications Media Specialist will work closely with the Graphics Media Specialist. The Communications position will focus more on writing, such as coordinating bi-weekly short blog posts onto the SSA blog and sending out Facebook and mailing list posts around events and activities. This position is perfect for someone who enjoys writing and communicating, and learning how to promote events using social media.

Media Specialist: Graphics

The Graphics Media Specialist will work closely with the Communications Media Specialist. The Graphics position will be responsible for taking photos at events, keeping up weekly Instagram posts, and designing posters for each event that SSA organizes. If you love graphic design or have an interest in visuals, this is the position for you. You’ll get to design the visual aspect of the SSA for the year, and make each graphic eye-catching and unique.

Logistics Coordinator

The Logistics Coordinator is responsible for organizing the materials and space needed for certain events the SSA holds. Some tasks include: booking space, coordinating food, organizing set-up and clean-up and printing posters. You will be able to develop your organizational and time management skills through coordinating the preparations needed for each event, and develop relationships within the department.

Sustainability Representative

The Sustainability Representative is responsible for ensuring all SSA events meet AMS’ requirements for sustainable events. Some tasks include: building connections with UBC Sustainability Consultants to help plan and execute events that encompasses economic, social and environmental sustainability, organize and promote one sustainability specific event.

AUS Representative

The AUS Representative is responsible for being the face of the SSA to the Arts Undergraduate Society. In addition to attending the bi-weekly AUS meetings, the representative will need to run for one AUS committee and maintain communication between the SSA and AUS. As AUS Rep, you will gain connections to the AUS and to other departments while learning communication and collaboration skills.

RESULTS: Research Grant Recipients!

Earlier this week, the SSA executives met and chose the recipients to divide our $600 total Research Grant amongst! It was a difficult decision to make, so thank you to the wonderful sociologists that applied.

Here are this year’s winners!

Andy Holmes to support research towards an Honours thesis, “Competing Perceptions of Safety inPride Parades”, which will explore the intersections between the diverse social movements, including the anti-racist Black Lives Matter movement and the LGBT2Q+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, two-spirit) movement.

Tina Chenyang Jiang to help present research on place identity during rapid social change, titled “Practice of Transnational Mobilities: WhiteSpot Family Restaurant in Vancouver as a Case Study”, at Transforming Urbanity: People and Cities on the Move, a 4-day international conference in Malaysia.

Anangons Johnson-Owl to help conduct interviews for a research project in the course Sociology 382: Qualitative Methods, with the project topic focusing on exploring themes of hardship and resilience in the university setting as they are understood by Indigenous and Indigenous-focused professors at UBC.

Kacey Ng to support the presentation of a research paper examining the current and significant challenges of degradation faced by Vancouver’s Chinatown, which will take place at this year’s annual Canadian Sociological Association conference in Toronto.

Siqi Xiao to support participation in this year’s Urban Ethnographic Field School.

Congratulations, Andy, Tina, Anangons, Kacey and Siqi! Best of luck in your sociological endeavours!

Research Opp!

Media content analysis for BC Women’s Sexual Assault Service (SAS) – 1 student

SAS is looking for 1 student to  assist with the data collection required for a systematic media content analysis of current (mainstream) discourse around  sexual assault.   The outline and plan for the data collection will be drafted in consultation with study investigator(s) (and student’s supervisor if there is one). The use of the data for publication is also an option, and can be discussed with the study investigator(s).  Compensation is $15/hour for up to 67 hours over a three month period (2017).

BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre (BCWH) is the provincial resource for all aspects of women’s health. BCWH is dedicated to providing one-of-a-kind care to meet women’s specialized health needs, from maternity, birthing and clinical care over the life span to service delivery and provincial outreach activities. BC Women’s has a reputation as an academic health sciences centre, is affiliated with the University of British Columbia (UBC) through the Women’s Health Research Institute (WHRI), and is a frequent collaborator with Simon Fraser University (SFU).

Survivor responses to sexual assault are affected by many factors and their experience may be shaped by how they perceive, and are perceived, by those around them. Public perceptions of sexual assault are mired in misconceptions and victim-blaming. Lack of knowledge and awareness makes public perception of sexual assault highly vulnerable to influence by persons in positions of power (policy makers, legal professionals, educators, health professionals etc.) which in turn may effect survivors decision to disclose. Choosing not to disclose sexual assault may have harmful and lead to lasting health and social consequences for survivors, their families, and communities.   SAS seeks to better understand public perception of sexual assault and who has influence, attention needs to be given to media and power holders, with a content analysis conducted of mainstream print, radio, television, and social media.

Contact Info:

Aimee Nygaard

Phone: (604) 875-2478

Please send current CV and cover letter detailing experience(s) with media content analysis/data collection and understanding of this form of analysis, as well as any other relevant experience (max 500 words).

April 7, 2017

Term 2 Annual General Meeting!

It’s that time of the semester again…we’re pleased to announce the launch of the SSA’s term 2 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING!

Join us on Tuesday, January 24th from 2pm-3:30 pm in the Nest Room 2306/9 to:

-catch up and chat with other SSA-er’s
-make new friends
-get to know the executives
-find out about how you can be involved in the SSA this term
-play games and have fun!

As per usual, food and drinks will be provided by us!

This is a great opportunity to interact with peers that share your interests, and build a network that makes your time at UBC Sociology that much better.

We’re so excited to see you!

November items: Sociology Outside the Classroom + Sociology Grad Reception!

Salutations sociologists!

We hope you’re standing strong against these end-of-semester November paper twisters! But have no fear, the SSA is here to brighten up your day with some upcoming events:

Class of 2016, you made it! Stroll down the charming rose garden steps and into the cozy, cuddly ANSO one last time after the graduation ceremony with your fellow, new Bachelor holders! What better way to end your sociology undergraduate journey than together in the Sociology Graduation Reception? Bring your family and friends any time between 12:30pm – 2:00pm on November 24th in the LINO Lounge; food, drinks and good vibes will be provided for everyone!

For those of you sticking around UBC a little while longer, we’ve got a fantastic opportunity for you to make your time here more meaningful. Have you ever wondered how you can bring your academic learning outside the classroom? The SSA is pleased to present a Sociology Outside the Classroom workshop/ information session and fill you in on how you can do just that. Come talk to former Go Global students, Teacher’s and Research assistants, Sojourners editors and former Urban Ethnographic Field School students and find out how you can be a part of one, two or all of these things! We look forward to seeing you on November 23rd in ANSO 134 from 12:00pm – 1:30pm. Be sure to REGISTER for the event on the link below!

Until then!

Soci Squad Mentors

The Soci Squad Peer Program is the first of its kind from the SSA. Inspired by other mentorship programs, upper level sociology student mentors are grouped with 1st and 2nd year mentees. Large scale social events happen once a month for the purpose of community building, while smaller informal meet-ups with mentors and mentees take place over the school year.

Meet the mentors!

Elizer Erpilla – 5th year Sociology Major

• Passionate about singing and performing on and off campus (UBC Music Initiative)
  • Experienced in applying for jobs on campus (law library, aquatic centre, TA)
  • Took on a sudden shift in career – dreaming to be a healthcare professional

Talk to me about: Musical performance opportunities, intro to sociology, time management

Iman Ghosh – 4th Year Soci major, minoring in GRSJ

• Been on the SSA exec team for 3 years, and took part in the Urban Ethnographic Field School program over the summer. Currently Co-editor in Chief of Sojourners, and doing an Honours thesis on media sociology!
  • Hoping to go on to Mass communications/Journalism after graduating, perhaps in New York – but for now, Vancouver is home to this international student
  • Passionate about trying new things and experiences, travelling, and pop culture

Talk to me about: Netflix (since I watch way too much of it), intersectional feminism, and fun things to do in Vancouver!

Elida Ibrahim – 4th year Sociology major

• Passionate about film and new media (former BFA in film prod.)
  • Currently part of the SSA exec team and an associate editor for Sojourners
  • Worked for a non-profit in Malaysia, took part in the Urban Ethnographic Field School over the summer, and volunteered at the UBC Learning Exchange
  • Took me awhile to get involved on campus, so now I’m trying my best to rectify that and give the kind of support I wish I had!  

Talk to me about: films, travel,  Malaysian food,  sociological theories, and study tips

Cecilia Federizon – 5th Year Sociology Major, minoring in GRSJ

• My passions are singing (Broadway and classical), pop culture and intersectional feminism
  • I watch too many TV shows (Orphan Black, Stranger Things, The 100, Friends, Galavant, Supernatural, Westworld, How to Get Away with Murder, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and Once Upon a Time)
  • Currently for the past 2 years, I’ve been acting as Co-President in the SSA and I’ve been a TA for SOCI 100
  • I’ve also been involved with UBC Orientations (Orientation Leader & Squad Leader), UBC Peer Programs as a Peer Academic Coach and Student Directed Seminars as a Coordinator for SOCI 433 (Sociology of Fashion)
  • My dream job would be to work for Disney as a feminist consultant on their scripts, screenwriting and portrayals in movies. But if that doesn’t work out, I want to work in media/communications 🙂

Talk to me about: TV Shows, Movies, Broadway, intersectional feminism, travel, Disney, getting involved with the department and/or UBC

Lauren Hindley – 4th Year Sociology Major

• Hobbies include being crafty, baking, travel
  • Currently a research assistant (R.A) for Dr. Wendy Roth
  • Writing an Honour’s thesis on Third Culture Kids’ experience at UBC
  • Interested in culture, gender, globalization and exploring Vancouver & beyond

Talk to me about: Travel, food, living abroad, time management, holding down job(s) with a full course load

Noor Hewaidi- 4th Year Sociology Major

• Sociological passions include immigration, race and ethnicity, culture, equity and inclusivity
  • Just Noor passions are photography, blogging, writing and foodie-ing!
  • Currently a sociology TA, SSA Communications Specialist, MSA Social Director and Soci Peer Advisor
  • Just got back from a Study Abroad in Italy…so talk to me about Study Abroad!
  • Very passionate about sociology, and currently applying for post-graduate studies in sociology! Would love to talk about career planning.

Talk to me about: Making your student experience meaningful, culture, media, travel and anything you’re passionate about! I love listening to all passions and believe in their worth.

Leanne Huang – 6th year Double-Major in Sociology & Psychology

• Believes that everybody deserves to live safe and happy lives.
  • Experience as a UBC “student leader” in roles such as: Orientations (MUG & Squad) Leader, Peer Academic Coach, Arts Tri-Mentoring Program student coordinator, Psychology Student Association’s VP-Academic
  • Some UBC Sociology related experiences include being a coordinator for a Student Directed Seminar, a student of the Urban Ethnographic Field School and the Go Global seminar program in Guatemala
  • Careers that I’ve considered since 1st yr: dietitian, clinical counsellor, health psychologist,  epidemiologist, speech-language pathologist, family physician, post-secondary teacher, higher education professional, lawyer, psychiatrist….
  • I also have paid work experience as a teaching assistant, research assistant, library assistant and I take pride in being a good friend, sister, daughter, granddaughter, and dog co-owner

Talk to me about: health (be it physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, social, financial, etc.); being a UBC student; your life experiences, aspiration, worries, problems — anything!

Kirsten Jade Mendonca- 4th year Sociology Major

• I’m specifically interested in intersectional feminism and elders.
  •  I just joined the SSA as their Logistics Coordinators. I love bringing people together and I’m really hoping I get to do that this year. "<br
  • I know quite a bit about the clubs/resources on campus, having worked in Residence life for the past 3 years.
  • I take pride is my abilities at All You Can Eat. Some of my current records are 2 1/2 pizzas, and 4 hours straight eating AYCE Sushi
    Talk to me about: Beyonce, Good Food, Planning, and Expanding Love.
    Patrick Teichrib– 1st year Law student (former Sociology Major)
    • Public health and socio-technological studies
    • Worked for in a small indigenous community in Northern Alberta last summer running a public health and recreation program.
    • I completed my honours thesis within the sociology of aging, which a focus on who technology interacts with and is reshaping our conception of ageing and ageing bodies.
    • As a first-generation university student, I struggled to get the hang of university at the beginning. Now, I want to offer any support I can to students in a similar position.
    • I white-water kayak, hike, and recently got into bouldering.
    Talk to me about: Stats (I know right, who likes stats); public health; Nikolas Rose and; post-humanist theory (or theory in general).

Grad School Info Session!

A nifty event you’d want to mark on your calendars this October:

For those of you graduating this year or the next, grad school might be something you’re thinking about, and making your application stand out could be stressful. With grad school deadlines approaching, the SSA and Sociology departement are hosting a Grad School Info Session to guide you on successful application writing! Register by OCTOBER 21st for a spot! The event will be on October 26th from 11-12:30 pm. We hope to see you there, sociologists to be!

Register here: