January is Sexual Assault Awareness Month at UBC.
Sexual assault affects people of all ages, genders, and sexual orientations. Help end the violence by participating in one of many Sexual Assault Awareness Month events this January. Learn more about sexual assault, how to help prevent it, and the supports available for survivors. And don’t forget to wear denim on Denim Day, January 21, to show others you’re standing up against sexual assault.
We would like to highlight our keynote speaker, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha. Her talk, “Strong Communities Make Police Obsolete” will take place on Tuesday, January 27 at 12.30 – 1.30pm at the Liu Institute of Global Issues. For full details regarding this event see our online events calendar or our Facebook event.
Please find a highlighted list of events during SAAM below. Read more for more information and events. If you attend or would like to follow what’s happening on social media, use and follow us at #saamUBC.
- Thursday 15
- BARtalk #14: Feminism in the Media, hosted by AMS and Terry Project UBC. 6-7.30pm, at the Gallery Lounge.
- Tuesday 20
- Anti-violence ally training, 10am-12.30pm. Contact Ashley Bentley at AMS Sexual Support Centre, email@example.com to register.
- AMS SASC is screening the film Stalled, followed by a discussion with film-maker Megan Gardiner. 7-8.30pm, Irving K. Barber 261.
- Wednesday 21
- Denim Day: Stand up for a respectful campus and ask the same of your friends. Wear denim, a Denim Day sticker, or both on January 21 to stand against sexual assault. Stickers provided by Access & Diversity, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday 25
- Place Vanier: Start Talking art show, Shrum Lounge 6-8pm. For UBC residents.
- Tuesday 27
- Access & Diversity presents keynote speaker Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha, 12.30-1.30pm, Multipurpose Room, Liu Institute.
- AMS SASC, FUS and LFSUS are hosting a SAAM Showcase, 6-8pm, Agora Café.
- Wednesday 28
- AMS Speakeasy: Art Speaks – #StartTalking art exhibition, SUB Art Gallery, 5-8pm
- Friday 30
- Really? workshop: Anti-discrimination awareness response training, 3.30-5pm, Simon K.Y. Lee Global Lounge. Register at email@example.com
For more information regarding events and to find resources related to sexual assault awareness, please visit students.ubc.ca/saam.