Short research: Mexican war of Independence

Raat, W. Dirk. 1982. Mexico, from independence to revolution, 1810-1910. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.

In my first source, I’m talking more about what were the main causes of Independence in Mexico. The independence of Mexico started in because Mexicans were very angry before those years, people from Spain treated them in such a bad way, Spanish people didn’t respect the economic and social rights of the people of Mexico, it was well known that almost 300,000 people were dying in Mexico because they didn’t have anything to eat and the people who used to control the country were from Spain, so Mexicans blamed them for their economic situation, and I totally agree with that. The movement started before planned by the Mexican priest and leader Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla which I am going to talk more about him on my second source. It is important to say that Hidalgo was considered as a true leader in front of the peasants and also people used to love him (which is a very weird thing in Latin America, people usually do not admire politicians). I personally admire him because even when he had a good economic position he gave everything for his people.

Van Young, Eric. 2001. The other rebellion: Popular violence, ideology, and the Mexican struggle for independence, 1810-1821. Stanford, Calif: Stanford University Press

In my second source, I’m focusing on who was Miguel Hidalgo y Castilla , he is well known as being the leader of the Mexican War of Independence. I need to mention that he was a priest and the first person who started the movement of independence in Mexico, with Allende, Morelos and other Mexican leaders. He used to control the military and every peasant in Mexico, but it was interesting to see how this Mexican movement was not totally successful because many Mexican leaders died in those years, even Miguel Hidalgo, who was captured and then killed by the opposition (Spanish leaders). It is also interesting to see how Hidalgo started this movement, carrying a banner with the image of the Virgen de Guadalupe, he used to mix religion and military things in his own life and in my opinion, that’s why people from Mexico admire so much the Catholicism and especially “La Virgen de Guadalupe”. It is important to say that Miguel Hidalgo was not the only figure of the Independence in Mexico but I need to say that he is considered as the “Father of the Independence” because he started the movement (1810-1821).