Week 5 – The Enigma, Agostino

Labyrinth. This story was a labyrinth of emotions and relationships, with an odd enigma in the center waiting to be discovered. Looking at the story the only adjective that comes to mind when describing Agostino as a character is strange.  That was the first and perhaps only word I could think to describe the character of Agostino. He was such a…weird protagonist that evoked a myriad of emotions from me…none that were good. I did find him to be a bit captivating but also unsettling, that I couldn’t stop myself from reading further. I also don’t know if I liked or disliked him, I mean I enjoyed reading the book but I also felt so put-off by his character. I couldn’t help but think why Agostino? throughout the pages of the novel.

Moving on, one of the other pivotal aspects of the novel was the relationship between Agostino and his mother, which again was strange. It was a sort of dynamic that oscillated between overt emotional intensity, that was both obvious and subtle. As we delved into the unusual “bond” between mother and son, we explored the depths of their love, dependency on one another and unspoken tensions that all wove together like a tapestry. At times I found the bond between the two to be endearing but after a few pages it would feel a little unsettling, maybe the overly emotional connection was too much for me…..I dunno.

Perhaps the strangeness of Agostino’s character fitted perfectly with the unique mother and son relationship. There was a delicate balance between endearment and discomfort, that was all strung together by the emotionally intimacy they shared. Also, it felt as though the bond they had only added more fuel to the fire and made Agostino the way he was. His actions and decisions and sense of identity, was intertwined with the relationship with his mom.

Maybe I’ve spoken a little too negatively about their relationship or on Agostino’s overall character. I’m not saying it is bad to be a bit strange or to express your emotions to your mom, I was more so saying it was portrayed very differently and uniquely in this novel, making it all more interesting. I’ll stop here before I start rambling again about Agostino and his strangeness.

Question to think about: Why was Agostino written to be such a strange character with an enigmatic nature? If he was written a little more normally would his character have the same impact?

1 thought on “Week 5 – The Enigma, Agostino

1. Jon

Hmm. I’m interested in your calling Agostino an “enigma.” We do, after all, know what he is thinking in a way that we do not of other characters (the mother, for instance). The narrative stays close to his consciousness, and should in theory explain behaviour that to others may seem odd… all that grumpiness and adolescent moodiness, for instance. I also wonder how atypical Agostino really is. For Freud, after all, these struggles and tensions are something we all have to go through. (But then Freud also says we have to forget them, later…)