Week 7 – Navigating Loss on the Streets of Barcelona, in The Time of Doves

Wow, reading this was a rollercoaster of emotions.  Maybe because I never imagined myself reading this novel anywhere aside from my house and yet I found myself immersed in the story, while being on vacation in Barcelona…where the story unfolds. It was such a surreal experience to be walking through the same bustling plazas and narrow alleyways, as depicted in the novel, making it seem as if I had stepped into the novels pages. Being able to not only read it but experience the city, helped me create a deeper connection with Natalie, which allowed me to see the world through her own eyes.

One of the main themes that really stood out to me in novel was the focus on loss. It felt like loss permeated almost every corner of Natalie’s world, intertwining with the collective sadness and grief the nations people endured in the aftermath of the war. Through all that sorrow, there was one scene in particular that stayed with me, and that was the loss of Natalie’s husband, Quimet. His death was so tragic and honestly served as a reminder about how unpredictable and fragile life is. Despite everything he and his family had gone through during the war, it was a sudden accident that took his life. I also felt like after his death Natalie wasn’t the same anymore, she was left struggling with this grief and uncertainty, that did nothing but leave a void behind and as a reader you couldn’t help but feel the weight of her sorrow.

However, despite the struggles Natalie experienced, she demonstrated resilience in the face of adversity, which was remarkable. She didn’t let her grief consumer her completely and found the strength to carry on, not just for herself, but also for her family. Honestly, she was a pretty remarkable character, and quite possibly my favourite one so far.

Question to think about: I found Rodoreda’s writing style to be quite interesting and I’m curious as to why she chose this lyrical writing style to tell Natalie’s story. Did it contribute to the emotional impact of the novel?

5 thoughts on “Week 7 – Navigating Loss on the Streets of Barcelona, in The Time of Doves

1. alizey01 Post author

Hahaha, I was in Barcelona but only for a few days unfortunately. I also did visit Placa del Diamant and got to enjoy some pastries there, while sitting on some benches, and it was a very vibrant and lively square.

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

Ah, Barcelona! Quimet’s death occurs in the context of the Civil War. Is there anything that has caught your attention in the city about that historical event? There are places and monuments that help remember what happened. Did they make you have another type of connection with the novel?

1. alizey01 Post author

I can’t say anything in particular caught my eye that linked back to the historical event. However, the hotel we were staying in was near the Gothic Quarter, so I was able to walk through there and admire the unique architecture. Also, just walking through the city and getting to see the bustling atmosphere was really amazing.

2. Kelly (Ou-Chin)

Hey Alizey! It’s absolutely insane that you happened to be in the exact location of as the setting of the book as you read it. Im actually a little bit jealous, it must have felt really special. As for your question, I think since the book is told in a first person narrative, the stylistic choices in the writing reflects a lot on the characterization of Natalia, in my opinion. I’m not sure if everyone else gets the same sense as me, but because of the writing, I see Natalia as a more cloddish person but in a greater sense disempowered figure even within her own life. I think a lot of the story seems very “frantic” at times? almost like rambling at times.