Week 10 – I, Rigoberta Menchú

This was a difficult book to read. It wasn’t a piece of fiction that someone had conjured up, instead it was a recounting of an actual person’s story. Since Mama Blanca we hadn’t read a story that was based on a person’s life, so reading this was a bit hard to register because of the overall content. I know from the lecture it was mentioned that there might be parts in the book that were made up, but if we disregard that the content is still quite heavy. I think this might be the most “content” heavy book I will read in this class, and I don’t really know how I feel about it. I can’t really say I like or dislike this book, but what I will say is that it was the most emotionally taxing book so far.

There’s one line from the book that really got to me and has stayed in my head for a while. In chapter 13, the lines “I was very depressed about life because I thought, what would life be like when I grew up? I thought about my childhood and all the time that had passed.” (pg.176), is something I can’t forget. The quote itself seems so out of place, in the book. If you forget the context in which the quote was said, it seems like something that would be said in young adult book, movie or tv show. I feel like its a line everyone can relate to, I definitely started questioning my future before I turned 20 because I kept thinking about everything I hadn’t accomplished in the years before. The future felt so vague and scary, and I can’t imagine what it was like for Rigoberta. It was essentially a turning point in her life because, in my opinion, that’s when she started thinking who she is, in terms of her race and gender, and how she has the ability to make a difference. Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it…

Moreover, the books content having to do with discrimination and inequality was quite eye opening and moving. It’s not like race and discrimination isn’t talked about, but the way it was described here in such clear detail added another layer of realness, that you don’t get to read about often.

Question to think about: It was mentioned in the book that Rigoberta started becoming a leader within her community. However, it wasn’t until the deaths of her family members that really pushed her into being an activist. My question is, do you think that if members of her family hadn’t died she wouldn’t have become as big of an activist like this?

5 thoughts on “Week 10 – I, Rigoberta Menchú

1. Nicholas Latimer

Hi Alizey! You’ve offered a very thought-provoking question. While I read the stories, I found myself wondering what is it that is deep within, that allows some people, like Rigoberta, and not others (like other families around her) to be so driven for change, and dedicated to a freedom fight.

I would be inclined to say that there would be less “fire” inside of her without the gruesome deaths of her loved ones. Does that mean she wouldn’t have the same dedication to fight for what is truly right? I suppose I would hope not, and believe that here spirit alone is what drove the success she had. But it is a good point to think about!

2. montserrat avendano castillo

Hey, I really enjoyed your reflection and analyses. To answer your question I will say that Rigoberta’s tragedy is a reason why her activism gained a lot of attention and power and it exemplifies the thing she fights for but I believe her passion for activism runs deeper and since before that happened and therefore I choose to believe she would still have been as successful and passionate as she is regardless.

Montserrat Avendano.

3. Orizaga Doguim

Actually, several of the books we have read take elements from the lives of their authors, even if they are not completely autobiographical (like those by Azuela or Campobello). But I understand how you feel. On the one hand it is important to know the struggle of women like Menchú, but on the other their stories bring us closer to the horrors of poverty and discrimination. If we can be empathetic and learn from the birth of her consciousness we may understand the richness of her activism (and perhaps follow her lead).

4. chia chi ou-chin

Hey Alizey, you made a really good point about the universality of Rigoberta’s experience in regards to doubt and identity formation! I don’t think you’re reading too much into it, but rather exactly as it is 🙂 . To answer your question, I think having close family deaths is a very strong emotionally driven ignition point to venture on the path of activism, but I think to some degree, some people, as shaped by their exposure to their life circumstances and the way their personalities are, have a calling for activism. I believe to some degree that this applies to Rigoberta as well. Kind of like the recognition that “I am fit for this job” but to garner the drive to pursue it relies on some ignition point, and for Rigoberta, it was her family’s deaths.

5. Alyssa Almerling

Hi Alizey! Loved your blog post! I really liked your question because I touched on how her brother’s death was the initial start to her thinking about the bigger world and the oppression her community is facing. I believe she would still become an activist because of her relationship with her community and how she directly was impacted by the Guatemalan army herself. I do believe it would have taken her longer to pursue being an activist, as the idea would come to her later in life because she did not experience death in her family as a young child. The death in her family has a greater effect on her than other deaths in her community. Therefore, it has the ability and power to change her perspective and outlook on life. Which it did and later on she became an activist.