Lab 3: Planning for a Tsunami Spatial Analysis, Tables, Editing

What percentage of Vancouver is in a tsunami danger zone?

To calculate what percentage of Vancouver is in danger, I firstly opened my attributes table for the layer Affected_Landuse (Figure 1).  I then added up all of the total areas in meters for each of the categories, which gave the value 14862774.11 meters. I then found the total area of Vancouver in meters by looking at the attribute table of the Vancouvermask layer, which gave the result 131033339.95 meters.  I therefore found the percentage of Vancouver that’s in danger by:

Total area in danger = 14862774.11/131033339.95 * 100 = 11.34% of Vancouver is in a tsunami danger zone.

Figure 1:

Category Total Area Meters Total Area Hectares
Commercial 148024.08 14.8
Government and Institutional 153308.27 15.3
Open Area 1049095.85 104.9
Parks and Recreational 4406059.21 440.6
Residential 3225301.9 322.5
Resource and Industrial 5584045.62 558.4
Waterbody 296939.18 29.7

What educational and healthcare facilities are within the tsunami danger zone?

In order to find the educational facilities which are in a tsunami danger zone, I used the ArcToolbox ‘intersect’ feature.  I intersected the layers Danger_Tsumani_Landuse and Vancouver_Education, and in order to do this I inserted these layers to the input box.  I named the output feature ‘Education_within_dangerzone,’ which therefore gave me the educational facilities within the tsunami danger zone.

I repeated this process to find the healthcare facilities within the tsunami danger zone, so again I intersected the Danger_Tsunami_Landuse layer but this time I used the Vancouver_Healthcare layer, and named the output feature ‘Healthcare_within_dangerzone.’

Healthcare facilities within danger zone is seen by viewing the attribute table of the layer Healthcare_within_dangerzone, and Education facilities within danger zone is seen by viewing the attribute table of the layer Education_within_danger.  The results are seen in the table below:

Educational Facilities in Danger Zone Healthcare facilities in Danger Zone
St Anthony of Padua False Creek Residence
Ecole Rose Des Vents Broadway Pentecostal Lodge
False Creek Elementary Yaletown House Society
Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design (Eciad) Villa Cathay Care Home
Henry Hudson Elementary