External Blogger – Jim’s Marketing Blog..

Came across a short marketing tip from JimsMarketingBlog.com, titled: “Quick Marketing Tip- Stop Trying to Appeal to Everyone”
Read it Here: http://jimsmarketingblog.com/2013/03/02/quick-marketing-tip-stop-trying-to-appeal-to-everyone/

Basically Jim states that:

“One of the golden rules of successful marketing, is to identify exactly who your customer or client is, then focus exclusively on them. This is the opposite of what we see most small business owners doing. They try and be a little relevant to everyone and succeed in being directly relevant to no one.

Don’t do that. Really. Stop it. It’s hurting your marketing and hurting your business.”

He goes on to say focused marketing on one specific segment of your most important consumers is a much better use of resources. He says that the most important thing is to find your main customer profile and then suggests simple practical things to reach them such as:

• Write with them in mind.
  • Use their language.
  • Study what matters to them.
  • Be where they are.
  • Uncover the problems facing their industry or industries.
  • Offer answers.
  • Become a useful resource.

From my own personal experience, I can also attest to the idea that trying to appeal to everyone is generally not a good idea. My family runs a small business, and we try to always try to focus on what our main customers value. This is key, as small business’s really don’t have to resources to appeal to all groups. For business’s with limited resources, I beleive the best strategy is to Determine which groups are the best contributors and make sure those groups are satisfied.